57 Maggots Lived in Ear of Catherine McCann While She Was Under Care of $10,000-a-Month Nursing Home
The family of an elderly woman whose ear was infested with almost 60 maggots is suing her nursing home for negligence and emotional distress.
Catherine McCann, 92, from Chicago, has severe Alzheimer's and because she is unable to speak or care for herself, her husband pays $10,000-a-month for her to live in a skilled nursing home.
But while she was under the care of Lutheran Home for the Aged in Arlington Heights, a fly entered her ear canal and laid eggs which hatched into 57 maggots.
Her husband John McCann, 88, told CBS: 'I was horrified, shocked. thought it was terrible. I’m paying all this money for that kind of care — no way.
'After giving them $270,000 of my hard earned money — my life savings I gave to them — and not even so much as a note or a call.'
He was told by staff at the home the first sign they realized anything was wrong was when Mrs McCann was tugging and scratching at her left ear.
On closer inspection, a nurse noticed the larvae in her ear and she was immediately taken to hospital.
Surgeons removed 57 maggots from her ear, one of which was already crawling out, and made a videotape to document the infestation.
Mrs McCann's daughter Mary said: 'It's a picture I will never ever get out of my mind - ever. And I was hearing her scream as they were taking the maggots out of her ear.'
When the maggots were sent for analysis, an expert concluded they had been in her ear for two to three days.
Surgeons removed 57 maggots from Mrs McCann's ear, one of which was already crawling out, and made a videotape to document the infestation
Mrs McCann has an enlarged ear canal from a surgery performed decades ago, according to CBS and requires periodic flushing of the ear, or antibiotics, for infections.
Nine days before the gruesome discovery, the 92-year-old was seen by a doctor for a waxxy buildup and said she should get drops four times a day for the condition.
Staff at the nursing home said she received drops the night before the infestation was discovered, something which the family attorney disputes.
Henry Guss said: 'I’m questioning whether or not she received the medication in that left ear during this time. Because how can you put drops of medicine in an ear that has 57 maggots?'
The nursing home administrator Phillip Hemmer says a staff members familiar with infectious diseases went to the hospital to see the family but said he does not think the staff did anything wrong.
He believes that until the day the infestation was discovered, the maggots were not big enough for staff to see.
Officials had the home inspected by an exterminator who found no evidence of flies in the home and believe it may have flown in when Mrs McCann was outside for a walk.
Illinois Department of Public Health found no violations in this case.
Mrs McCann’s family had her transferred to another nursing home immediately.
Latest Nigeria News
- Music teacher and mom-of-five murdered in her home
- Two drivers hurl litter at each other in Scotland
- Jared Kushner will speak to Senate about Russian contacts
- Heart-warming moment seals return to the sea in Cornwall
- London terror attacker tried to run somebody over in 1990s
- Liar tricked terminal patient into thinking she could live
- PM vows Brexit will make UK STRONGER as she meets Sturgeon
- London terror: Family of Kurt Cochran tell of forgiveness
- Massive gold coin worth millions stolen from German museum
- Truck kills three as it runs into group of schoolchildren
- Crenshaw family die in Cessna crash amid Disney World trip
- Marvel unveils lesbian Latina superhero America Chaves
- Sanford shooting spree in Florida sees woman dead
- Polish tree Jewish brothers hide inside named tree of year
- Mother-of-two and her daughter died in a house fire
- Doc doubled girl’s anti-depressants a month before suicide
- Police spy on motorists from the top deck of buses
- Call for 'back door' into messages is branded 'impossible'
- Dinosaur tracks found in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'
- France seeks a THIRD life sentence for Carlos the Jackal
- Boy, 7, who raised £41,000 to be buried next to mum dies
- Conman, 34, fleeced horse lovers out of £280,000
- PICTURED: Mother-of-two 'attacked with an axe by husband'
- Cyclone Debbie now Category 4 storm in Queensland
- Heavenly home! £650,000 chapel home has graveyard garden
- Britain's smallest house to be turned into hotel
- Is massive dam about to collapse and flood Raqqa?
- Chinese man is crushed to death between train and platform
- Trump says illegal border crossings are 'way down'
- Hizb Ut-Tahrir leader: Ex-Muslims should be put to death
- Physics student on walk is detained during Russian protest
- Conservative pundit Tomi Lahren axed from The Blaze
- Haunting images show everyday life in Magdalene Laundries
- Toddler visits beach for 1st time and can’t stop squealing
- Sydney bar Suey Sins accused of being 'racist and sexist'
- Couple demand apology after postman 'kicked' arthritic dog
- Hairdresser left with HUGE bruise after Menorca hotel fall
- Police search beneath M53 for body of missing man
- Ex-Royal Marine threw lover onto a pile of boxes
- Mother owns every £1 coin design ever made by Royal Mint