A California woman was forced to jump from a speeding van, because her husband was driving towards a cliff in order to escape from police.
Malibu cops say that Michael Kheop, 44, started to flee in the stolen van at about 1:30 p.m. on Friday during a traffic stop. His wife Meru was in the passenger seat. and she told CBS2 that she wanted him to surrender and assured him that everything would be all right.
But Kheop wanted to get away and allegedly turned toward a 200-foot cliff.
"I said ... 'Get out of the car, we can handle this,'" Meru Kheop told the station. "He said, 'Get out,' and I opened the door, and then that's when the car turned."
"I jumped when it was about to go down," she added.
She made it just in time. Her spouse cascaded down the grassy cliff, but miraculously survived. He eluded cops a second time by allegedly hiding in the brush.
The van was smashed, KTLA reported.
Cops searched for him for five hours. He had escaped -- until Meru Kheop heard a knock at her window that evening. It was Michael, but Meru didn't let him in. She called police who arrested him without incident.
Police charged him with attempted murder for endangering his wife and car theft. His bail was set at $100,000.
Latest Nigeria News
- Music teacher and mom-of-five murdered in her home
- Two drivers hurl litter at each other in Scotland
- Jared Kushner will speak to Senate about Russian contacts
- Heart-warming moment seals return to the sea in Cornwall
- London terror attacker tried to run somebody over in 1990s
- Liar tricked terminal patient into thinking she could live
- PM vows Brexit will make UK STRONGER as she meets Sturgeon
- London terror: Family of Kurt Cochran tell of forgiveness
- Massive gold coin worth millions stolen from German museum
- Truck kills three as it runs into group of schoolchildren
- Crenshaw family die in Cessna crash amid Disney World trip
- Marvel unveils lesbian Latina superhero America Chaves
- Sanford shooting spree in Florida sees woman dead
- Polish tree Jewish brothers hide inside named tree of year
- Mother-of-two and her daughter died in a house fire
- Doc doubled girl’s anti-depressants a month before suicide
- Police spy on motorists from the top deck of buses
- Call for 'back door' into messages is branded 'impossible'
- Dinosaur tracks found in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'
- France seeks a THIRD life sentence for Carlos the Jackal
- Boy, 7, who raised £41,000 to be buried next to mum dies
- Conman, 34, fleeced horse lovers out of £280,000
- PICTURED: Mother-of-two 'attacked with an axe by husband'
- Cyclone Debbie now Category 4 storm in Queensland
- Heavenly home! £650,000 chapel home has graveyard garden
- Britain's smallest house to be turned into hotel
- Is massive dam about to collapse and flood Raqqa?
- Chinese man is crushed to death between train and platform
- Trump says illegal border crossings are 'way down'
- Hizb Ut-Tahrir leader: Ex-Muslims should be put to death
- Physics student on walk is detained during Russian protest
- Conservative pundit Tomi Lahren axed from The Blaze
- Haunting images show everyday life in Magdalene Laundries
- Toddler visits beach for 1st time and can’t stop squealing
- Sydney bar Suey Sins accused of being 'racist and sexist'
- Couple demand apology after postman 'kicked' arthritic dog
- Hairdresser left with HUGE bruise after Menorca hotel fall
- Police search beneath M53 for body of missing man
- Ex-Royal Marine threw lover onto a pile of boxes
- Mother owns every £1 coin design ever made by Royal Mint