This magical moment at a UK zoo saw a baby monkey brought in to the world with a striking resemblance to Harry Potter ’s nemesis, Voldemort.
The Dark Lord’s lookalike was delivered by C-section at Paignton Zoo in Devon after complications in pregnancy of her mother, Ivy.
It was the first time staff had carried out the procedure on a primate.
Both king colobus monkeys are now being cared for around-the-clock by keepers and doing well.
Vet Jo Reynard, who performed the procedure, said: “Ivy had reached her due date but been off her food and inactive for two days.
The monkey looks just like Lord Voldemort
A tiny primate baby has been delivered by Caesarean at Paignton Zoo in Devon.
“A quick x-ray confirmed that the baby’s head was engaged in the pelvis ready to come out.
“Later that evening we became concerned as her health was deteriorating and with no signs of normal labour progressing, we decided to do a C-section to save Ivy’s life and that of the baby.”
Ghislaine Sayers, head of veterinary services at Paignton Zoo, said: “We have only done three C-sections here in the last 16 years. Jo, our surgeon on this occasion, has performed them on dogs, cats, cows and sheep before – but never a primate.
The newborn king colobus monkey bears more than a passing resemblance to the Harry Potter character
Newborn king colobus monkey having his first feed
"It’s not so common in zoos – most zoo animals manage to give birth by themselves. Introducing a new life into the world is always special.”
Jo added: “The hardest bit in these circumstances is knowing when to intervene and when to leave the mum alone to give birth naturally.
"It is an exciting thing to be involved in, but the overriding feeling is concern for the mother and this can make you a bit apprehensive. You want to do the best job you can for her.”
Weighing a healthy 567g, the young ape is now living in a mobile incubator and feeding on powdered baby milk until she is able to suckle on a bottle.
Latest Nigeria News
- Steve Bannon won't be charged in Florida vote probe
- Israel approves first West Bank settlement since 1999
- What was Cleggy doing whispering on the front bench?
- Education Secretary says Grammars will help deprived
- Major review into car insurance launched after backlash
- DNA database is made up of sex worker samples
- Longer waits for hip operations, warns NHS boss
- Melbourne church destroyed in suspicious fire
- Sherri Papini 'blamed her mom for self-harm in 2003'
- South Sudanese students told to take out braids from hair
- 'Spitting woman' of Manhattan arrested
- Ivanka Trump back in NYC after White House uproar
- The best way to end revenge porn is to stop posing nude
- Michael Flynn seeks immunity for testimony in Russia probe
- Michelle Obama spends day with Native students
- Woman was 'punched and kicked in the back of an Uber'
- Oxford to display more portraits of women after protests
- Oklahoma break-in getaway driver abandoned friends
- Senate's blue wall begins to crumble on Gorsuch vote
- Melbourne pensioner wins right for more welfare benefits
- Teen arrested after 'missing' girl found safe by police
- James Comey's Twitter account is allegedly discovered
- Judge Napolitano returns to Fox after being benched
- Charter of Fundamental Right set to be ditched in Brexit
- Cyclone Debbie flooding NSW and Queensland
- Alabama teen banned from taking grandmother to prom
- Dirty secrets of laundromat: Illicit roubles in London
- Nicola Sturgeon photo similar to Thatcher picture
- Holidaymakers in the Caribbean verbally abuse hotel staff
- Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan
- Columbia man arrested 6 years after mother was murdered
- Trump names and shames right-wing rebel Republicans
- Penn St trustee slams Sandusky's 'so-called' abuse victims
- Woman, 85, survived FIVE DAYS in the Colorado wilderness
- Trump planned to build a 60-story castle in 1984
- Oldest tattooed couple from Florida are 90 per cent inked
- Roger Daltrey says a 'dead dog' would have beaten Clinton
- FBI pictures reveal aftermath of 9/11 attack on Pentagon
- Professor is disgusted by man who gave seat to soldier
- Couple 'regularly' left their baby in the bath