Former President George W. Bush may have campaigned against same-sex marriage a decade ago, but he more recently offered to officiate a lesbian wedding, according to the Boston Globe.
In an article about the Bush family's longtime ties to the town of Kennebunkport, Maine, the Globe mentions that former President George H.W. Bush in 2013 attended the wedding of Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, two general store owners in Kennebunkport. In face, George H.W. Bush served as a witness at the wedding.
The article also says, "George W. Bush offered to perform the ceremony but had a scheduling conflict."
CBS News is awaiting confirmation of this report from Mr. Bush's spokesman.
The Bush's relationship with the Kennebunkport couple illustrates the evolution of opinion on the issue of same-sex marriage, as well as the conflicting messages some Republicans have sent. In 2004, George W. Bush supported a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman, and he made it an issue in his re-election campaign. Yet in her 2004 memoir, Mr. Bush's wife Laura Bush said she urged the president to drop the issue out of respect for their gay friends.
The issue of same-sex marriage is once again a presidential campaign issue, given that the Supreme Court next month is expected to say whether or not gay couples have a constitutional right to marry. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a potential presidential candidate, has said that he thinks the issue should be left up to the states.
Latest Nigeria News
- Music teacher and mom-of-five murdered in her home
- Two drivers hurl litter at each other in Scotland
- Jared Kushner will speak to Senate about Russian contacts
- Heart-warming moment seals return to the sea in Cornwall
- London terror attacker tried to run somebody over in 1990s
- Liar tricked terminal patient into thinking she could live
- PM vows Brexit will make UK STRONGER as she meets Sturgeon
- London terror: Family of Kurt Cochran tell of forgiveness
- Massive gold coin worth millions stolen from German museum
- Truck kills three as it runs into group of schoolchildren
- Crenshaw family die in Cessna crash amid Disney World trip
- Marvel unveils lesbian Latina superhero America Chaves
- Sanford shooting spree in Florida sees woman dead
- Polish tree Jewish brothers hide inside named tree of year
- Mother-of-two and her daughter died in a house fire
- Doc doubled girl’s anti-depressants a month before suicide
- Police spy on motorists from the top deck of buses
- Call for 'back door' into messages is branded 'impossible'
- Dinosaur tracks found in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'
- France seeks a THIRD life sentence for Carlos the Jackal
- Boy, 7, who raised £41,000 to be buried next to mum dies
- Conman, 34, fleeced horse lovers out of £280,000
- PICTURED: Mother-of-two 'attacked with an axe by husband'
- Cyclone Debbie now Category 4 storm in Queensland
- Heavenly home! £650,000 chapel home has graveyard garden
- Britain's smallest house to be turned into hotel
- Is massive dam about to collapse and flood Raqqa?
- Chinese man is crushed to death between train and platform
- Trump says illegal border crossings are 'way down'
- Hizb Ut-Tahrir leader: Ex-Muslims should be put to death
- Physics student on walk is detained during Russian protest
- Conservative pundit Tomi Lahren axed from The Blaze
- Haunting images show everyday life in Magdalene Laundries
- Toddler visits beach for 1st time and can’t stop squealing
- Sydney bar Suey Sins accused of being 'racist and sexist'
- Couple demand apology after postman 'kicked' arthritic dog
- Hairdresser left with HUGE bruise after Menorca hotel fall
- Police search beneath M53 for body of missing man
- Ex-Royal Marine threw lover onto a pile of boxes
- Mother owns every £1 coin design ever made by Royal Mint