NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins for two games without pay for confronting San Antonio announcer Sean Elliott in a hostile manner.
The exchange followed the Spurs' 97-86 victory in Sacramento on Friday night. The volatile Cousins will lose about $70,500 of his $3.9 million salary.
Kings coach Keith Smart has discussed the incident with Cousins.
"Any little mark is gonna knock you all the way back down again," he said, remembering their conversation. "So you've got to stay one step ahead and be perfect, with everything that goes on. You've got to be a man now and accept what's happening. And then we've got to move on. But understand that everything you do until you are this person that we believe you can become, you have to do things perfect, because when you make mistakes they affect not just you but it affects our entire team.
"So let's put this behind you, we've got the right people in place now to get you through all these things and we're looking forward to the polished person to eventually come out."
Cousins will sit out games at the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday and at home against Portland on Tuesday.
Elliott was a longtime Spurs player who is the team's primary TV analyst.
Information from 's Justin Verrier and The was used in this report.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thomas Cook flight kicks off 'drunk passengers' from Turkey flight
- Blown the budget already Jeremy? After episodes filmed in California and Middle East, next episode of Clarkson's The Grand Tour comes from Whitby and South Wales
- How Prince William's thinning hairline makes him look almost a decade older
- Virginia Ironside explains why she's fed up of bossy nurses
- Brazen thief stole a woman's iPhone in a violent robbery
- How YOU can get free Starbucks with this money-saving hack
- Would you spend £10,000 on home lighting to make yourself look younger? These women have - and think it's worth every penny
- Jocelyn Wildenstein arrested after 'slashing her designer boyfriend with scissors
- Stunning images from National Geographic's Best Photos of 2016 gallery
- Tata Steel and unions hammer out plan to save 9,500 Port Talbot jobs
- Super-rich Christmas shopping list from £5,000 jumpers to a £177,000 watch
- George Osborne's stamp duty reforms have cost the Treasury £500m
- Thousands of us go on skiing trips but don't bother to ski! Holidaymakers travelling to winter resorts simply for the nightlife
- Meghan Markle is all smiles after her whirlwind two days with Prince Harry
- Heysham cannabis addict smothered his seven-month-old son to death
- Aviation expert reveals how to travel in luxury on a short-haul flight
- Girlfriend who subjected her boyfriend to 3-year campaign of abuse is spared jail
- FEMAIL give their verdict on the chocolate treats YOU can make at home (and you'll need a hairdryer to do it!)
- New generation material won't pile on the pounds or make you look like you're wearing the sofa
- Growing scandal of care homes that PUNISH families who dare to complain
- Florida Sandy Hook denier allegedly made death threats against
- Thieves copy Home Alone 2 movie plot and pose as shop DUMMIES in Worthing
- Georgia officer fired after bodycam footage showed him tormenting teen during traffic stop
- Retrial begins for Florida woman 'who tried to hire a hit man to kill her newlywed husband because she wanted his $250,000 in savings and their $225,000 town house'
- 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be investigated after using image rights to reduce their bills
- Remains of sailor killed on USS Oklahoma during Pearl Harbor attack are laid to rest
- Police, coastguard and volunteers search for missing teenager Ben Savage in Kent
- Eggs from hens kept indoors still labelled as free range after European bird flu outbreak
- Homeowners call suspended rubbish collections over Christmas a 'public health problem' after cost-cutting councils slash rounds
- Suspected Comancheros bikie posts photo outside police station on Facebook while on the run
- Divorce and family breakdown is leaving nine million Britons lonely
- Probe launched into 302 killings by British troops in Northern Ireland
- A-level result predictions are too high for 80% of pupils as teachers try to boost candidates' chances of going to a good university
- Petrol bomb on electrical substation could take out Penrith hospital
- YouTube Rewind behind the scenes reveals the top videos of 2016 including Carpool Karaoke
- Bronson 'Lizard Man' Ellery's friend took his gun to stop Southport murder-suicide
- WWE's Linda McMahon will lead Trump's Small Business Administration
- NSW Premier Mike Baird relaxes Sydney lockout laws by half an hour
- 2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
- Melbourne weather: temperature plummets to five degrees ahead of heavy rain and110/km winds