NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins for two games without pay for confronting San Antonio announcer Sean Elliott in a hostile manner.
The exchange followed the Spurs' 97-86 victory in Sacramento on Friday night. The volatile Cousins will lose about $70,500 of his $3.9 million salary.
Kings coach Keith Smart has discussed the incident with Cousins.
"Any little mark is gonna knock you all the way back down again," he said, remembering their conversation. "So you've got to stay one step ahead and be perfect, with everything that goes on. You've got to be a man now and accept what's happening. And then we've got to move on. But understand that everything you do until you are this person that we believe you can become, you have to do things perfect, because when you make mistakes they affect not just you but it affects our entire team.
"So let's put this behind you, we've got the right people in place now to get you through all these things and we're looking forward to the polished person to eventually come out."
Cousins will sit out games at the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday and at home against Portland on Tuesday.
Elliott was a longtime Spurs player who is the team's primary TV analyst.
Information from 's Justin Verrier and The was used in this report.
Latest Nigeria News
- Spurned boyfriend, 63, who strangled ex jailed for life
- Video shows Trump appearing to be snubbed at cathedral
- Trump will speak before Congress on Feb. 28
- Trump tweets panorama of his inauguration with wrong date
- New Queensland One Nation leader slams burqas & polygamy
- Peyton Manning to address Republican lawmakers
- Owner of limo torched in DC says insurance unlikely to pay
- High school teacher runs into pole during pep rally
- Chelsea Handler accused of immigrant shaming Melania Trump
- Wollongong man chased by dogs and doused in petrol
- California school cancels play because of 'gay character'
- Tribe leader tells concerns about revival of Dakota Access
- The cat that loves hide-and-seek
- Map gives detailed look at Chicago's gangland empire
- Huge fire engulfs Russian mall
- Workers remove mass of fat and sewage from public sewer
- Commitment to Nato is 'unshakeable' - Mad Dog Mattis
- ‘A lot of bleeding patience’ key to marriage
- Dental lecturer sacked for having noisy sex in his office
- Angry husband smashed his car into a divorce office
- Brown water spurts from Hitlon bathroom tap
- Murder victim's brother goes on the attack in court
- Woman pleads guilty in plot to kill her ex-husband
- Director Vogt-Roberts claims blackmail by Brittany Furlan
- Rare biracial twin girls born in Illinois
- Amy Adams and Tom Hanks listed as Oscar nominees
- Utah mom found passed out in a gutter sentenced to prison
- Woman who maimed hand in meat slicer fall wins $1.6M
- Secret footage shows Giulio Regeni before death
- Queens woman pleads guilty to importing 50kg of cocaine
- Deer runs around Orlando couple's home in a panic
- Blunkett: Politicians in a 'delicate' moment with public
- Cab driver praises John Elway as he sits in the back seat
- Dwarf takes down man twice his size in street fight
- Trump warns auto executives to build new cars in America
- Photographer shows images of the nature surrounding her
- Army recruitment in crisis as MoD missed target by a THIRD
- FedEx CEO attacks Trump for quitting TPP trade deal
- Father claims he can attach household objects to his body
- Builders face jail for charging thousands for botched jobs