Alex Smith Injured In Rams-49ers Tie
Alex Smith left the game early after suffering a concussion as the Rams and 49ers played to a 24-24 tie, the first in the NFL since 2008.
SAN FRANCISCO -- Two typically reliable kickers missed. Penalties doomed both sides. And a furious, thrilling finish to regulation ended with a dramatic dud in overtime: a tie.And nobody particularly likes a tie. Especially not the NFC West-leading 49ers, with a chance to separate themselves against a division rival. Or the Rams, eager to snap a three-game losing streak.San Francisco and St. Louis played the NFL's first tie game in four years as both teams missed overtime field goals in Sunday's 24-24 outcome."I have to say, I've been doing this a while. I don't think I've ever been in a game like this," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "As I told our guys, we had a number of chances to put the game away. And, unfortunately, we didn't."
Looking for more information on this game? Check out our blogs for Rapid Reaction.
• NFC West
Rams LT Wayne Hunter played after missing two games with a back injury. ... Fans spelled out "THANK YOU VETERANS" in the stands with shiny red, white and blue cards after the first quarter. A special military coin also was used for the pregame toss on Veterans Day.
Copyright by STATS LLC and The
Latest USA News
- University of Chicago warns new students that they won’t get safe spaces
- UK Weather: Bank Holiday getaway hit by rain, lightning and thunder
- Australian man finds gold nugget worth over $250,000 in bushland north west of Melbourne
- Girls expected to beat the boys in GCSE results amid fears grades in English and Maths could tumble because of the record number of over-16s who were forced to resit
- Eight-year-old girl dies protecting her younger sister who survived under her dead body for hours in rubble of Italian earthquake
- Horrifying moment a waiter opened fire in a famous Texas steakhouse during a fight with two diners who complained he had brought the wrong order
- Queensland hostel knifeman charged with murder of British backpacker Mia Ayliffe-Chung
- A relic from the golden age of British holidays: Britains' first motorhome goes on sale for £40,000 (complete with empty grapefruit tins and Oxo cubes from the 1930s)
- Julian Assange to release material from Hillary Clinton's election campaign
- Bungled inquiry into 'covered-up sex abuse at Britain's leading Catholic school Ampleforth College denies justice for ex-teacher's child victims'
- Sunshine Coast man, 70, jailed for sexual abuse of a four-year-old girl
- Chartered accountant, 52, was nearly triple the drink-drive limit when he cycled onto motorway at night and was killed by a car in middle lane
- Bomb squad blow up pesto sandwich after being called to investigate suspicious package at London Bridge
- Musician issues appeal for return of violin she was due to play at the Proms
- Net migration still more than TRIPLE government target at 327,000 as Theresa May orders ministers to come up with ways of curbing numbers
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival bans Morris dancers from appearing in blackface
- Happy now, Jeremy? Corbyn is all smiles after DEFINITELY getting a seat on Virgin train in the wake of his bitter row with Sir Richard Branson
- Now THAT'S a money bomb: Hillary collected $270,000 per HOUR in three-day celebrity fundraising blitz
- London mayor Sadiq Khan condemns French burkini ban as he says 'Don't tell women what to wear' on Paris trip
- Alleged lover of Larry King's wife Shawn 'is a public-speaking guru'
- Thug from Staffordshire who murdered his female friend is jailed for life
- Shocking before and after pictures of Italian towns effected by earthquake
- Council taxpayers fume over new team of inspectors searching through their rubbish
- Boomtown festival-goer who forgot to take girl's number finds her after fly-postering
- Zika wreaks havoc in baby's brain and causes skull to collapse in on itself
- Italian earthquake aftershocks will continue for days, geologists warn
- Usain Bolt's 'First Lady' girlfriend reacts to the sprinter's partying marathon
- British honeymoon couple reveal how their hotel room was shaking during earthquake terror
- University of Central Lancashire study reveals why women want 'handsome' partners
- Serving Royal Marine from Northern Ireland arrested by anti-terror police
- Great British Bake Off's most disastrous (and hilarious) moments
- Lloyds boss to apologise to his 75k staff after 'having an affair on a business trip'
- World’s largest 'bottom' aircraft hits a telegraph pole and suffers cockpit damage
- Olympic hero Greg Rutherford 'conned out of £66k' by agent who represented him
- Cyprus-bound Thomson flight returns to Birmingham airport after mid-air birdstrike
- Nicola Sturgeon's Scottish independence dream in tatters as oil revenue plunges
- It’s bad in France but at least we’re not Britain! Sarkozy launches astonishing attack on multiculturalism in the UK as he bids to return as president
- French children as young as TWO are to be taught how to survive a terror attack in school or kindergarten as France ramps up security measures in wake of deadly extremist attacks
- Camber Sands rescue team pull 3 unconscious people from waves
- Two young girls among three killed as earthquake of 6.8 magnitude strikes Myanmar and shakes buildings in Thailand, India and Bangladesh