LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash is hoping to return to the court in the next week or two and when he does the Lakers will have a new head coach in place.
While Nash would be elated if he were reunited with his old Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, he also sounded excited about the possibility of playing under Phil Jackson and in the Triangle offense for the first time in his career.
"It would obviously be a coup for the franchise to have somebody of his success rate and his history with this club and with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant in particular, it would be fantastic," Nash said of the possibility of Jackson returning to coach the Lakers. "For me personally it would be fantastic."
Most people would look at myself in (the Triangle) offense and say it's not a great fit; I look at it as a great opportunity to try something new in a different stage in my career.” -- Steve Nash on possibility of
playing in Triangle offense
Jackson met with Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Saturday about the vacant head coaching job after the team fired Mike Brown on Friday. The Lakers also had a phone interview with former Suns and New York Knicks coach D'Antoni, who coached Nash in Phoenix from 2004-2008. Under D'Antoni, the Suns went to back-to-back conference finals in 2005 and 2006 and Nash won the league's MVP in both seasons.
"Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike," Nash said "If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there's not much point speculating."
There had been a feeling that Nash would struggle playing under Jackson and in the Triangle offense but Nash sounded as if he would relish the opportunity.
"The only thing I can say about it is it's won a lot of championships so it's hard to argue with that," Nash said. "It makes a lot of sense in principle. Most people would look at myself in that offense and say it's not a great fit; I look at it as a great opportunity to try something new in a different stage in my career. The Triangle has had such a great success rate it would be interesting to take part in it."
Nash said he and Jackson have never had a conversation during his 17-year career, despite playing against Jackson and the Lakers in three playoff series. Jackson famously talked about Nash's penchant for carrying the ball before the Lakers played the Suns in the 2010 Western Conference Finals.
"I do remember that," Nash said when reminded about the incident. "He was usually good for those to plant something in a ref's ear. I actually kind of like it. It's part of his charm. I think it's great."
Whether Nash ends up playing for Jackson or D'Antoni, he thinks he'll be able to flourish in either coach's system when he returns to the court.
"I think basketball is still basketball," Nash said. "At the end of the day the idea is still to put pressure on the defense and create scoring opportunities. That's something I've had a lot of success at in my career and whatever offense it is I think I can find a niche in there somewhere."
Nash suffered a small fracture to his fibula in a collision with Portland Trail Blazers rookie Damian Lillard on Oct. 31 and he has been sidelined ever since. Nash said there was no timetable for his return to the court but when he was reminded that the Lakers played his former team, the Suns, on Friday, he said he would like to be able to play that game if he were medically cleared.
"Obviously I'd love to play in that game," Nash said. "But I can only follow nature's path."
- Former columnist and writer after five years with Sports Illustrated
- Markazi has also written for Slam, King, Vibe and Playboy
- On board of directors for Jim Murray Memorial Foundation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thomas Cook flight kicks off 'drunk passengers' from Turkey flight
- Blown the budget already Jeremy? After episodes filmed in California and Middle East, next episode of Clarkson's The Grand Tour comes from Whitby and South Wales
- How Prince William's thinning hairline makes him look almost a decade older
- Virginia Ironside explains why she's fed up of bossy nurses
- Brazen thief stole a woman's iPhone in a violent robbery
- How YOU can get free Starbucks with this money-saving hack
- Would you spend £10,000 on home lighting to make yourself look younger? These women have - and think it's worth every penny
- Jocelyn Wildenstein arrested after 'slashing her designer boyfriend with scissors
- Stunning images from National Geographic's Best Photos of 2016 gallery
- Tata Steel and unions hammer out plan to save 9,500 Port Talbot jobs
- Super-rich Christmas shopping list from £5,000 jumpers to a £177,000 watch
- George Osborne's stamp duty reforms have cost the Treasury £500m
- Thousands of us go on skiing trips but don't bother to ski! Holidaymakers travelling to winter resorts simply for the nightlife
- Meghan Markle is all smiles after her whirlwind two days with Prince Harry
- Heysham cannabis addict smothered his seven-month-old son to death
- Aviation expert reveals how to travel in luxury on a short-haul flight
- Girlfriend who subjected her boyfriend to 3-year campaign of abuse is spared jail
- FEMAIL give their verdict on the chocolate treats YOU can make at home (and you'll need a hairdryer to do it!)
- New generation material won't pile on the pounds or make you look like you're wearing the sofa
- Growing scandal of care homes that PUNISH families who dare to complain
- Florida Sandy Hook denier allegedly made death threats against
- Thieves copy Home Alone 2 movie plot and pose as shop DUMMIES in Worthing
- Georgia officer fired after bodycam footage showed him tormenting teen during traffic stop
- Retrial begins for Florida woman 'who tried to hire a hit man to kill her newlywed husband because she wanted his $250,000 in savings and their $225,000 town house'
- 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be investigated after using image rights to reduce their bills
- Remains of sailor killed on USS Oklahoma during Pearl Harbor attack are laid to rest
- Police, coastguard and volunteers search for missing teenager Ben Savage in Kent
- Eggs from hens kept indoors still labelled as free range after European bird flu outbreak
- Homeowners call suspended rubbish collections over Christmas a 'public health problem' after cost-cutting councils slash rounds
- Suspected Comancheros bikie posts photo outside police station on Facebook while on the run
- Divorce and family breakdown is leaving nine million Britons lonely
- Probe launched into 302 killings by British troops in Northern Ireland
- A-level result predictions are too high for 80% of pupils as teachers try to boost candidates' chances of going to a good university
- Petrol bomb on electrical substation could take out Penrith hospital
- YouTube Rewind behind the scenes reveals the top videos of 2016 including Carpool Karaoke
- Bronson 'Lizard Man' Ellery's friend took his gun to stop Southport murder-suicide
- WWE's Linda McMahon will lead Trump's Small Business Administration
- NSW Premier Mike Baird relaxes Sydney lockout laws by half an hour
- 2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
- Melbourne weather: temperature plummets to five degrees ahead of heavy rain and110/km winds