LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash is hoping to return to the court in the next week or two and when he does the Lakers will have a new head coach in place.
While Nash would be elated if he were reunited with his old Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, he also sounded excited about the possibility of playing under Phil Jackson and in the Triangle offense for the first time in his career.
"It would obviously be a coup for the franchise to have somebody of his success rate and his history with this club and with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant in particular, it would be fantastic," Nash said of the possibility of Jackson returning to coach the Lakers. "For me personally it would be fantastic."
Most people would look at myself in (the Triangle) offense and say it's not a great fit; I look at it as a great opportunity to try something new in a different stage in my career.” -- Steve Nash on possibility of
playing in Triangle offense
Jackson met with Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Saturday about the vacant head coaching job after the team fired Mike Brown on Friday. The Lakers also had a phone interview with former Suns and New York Knicks coach D'Antoni, who coached Nash in Phoenix from 2004-2008. Under D'Antoni, the Suns went to back-to-back conference finals in 2005 and 2006 and Nash won the league's MVP in both seasons.
"Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike," Nash said "If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there's not much point speculating."
There had been a feeling that Nash would struggle playing under Jackson and in the Triangle offense but Nash sounded as if he would relish the opportunity.
"The only thing I can say about it is it's won a lot of championships so it's hard to argue with that," Nash said. "It makes a lot of sense in principle. Most people would look at myself in that offense and say it's not a great fit; I look at it as a great opportunity to try something new in a different stage in my career. The Triangle has had such a great success rate it would be interesting to take part in it."
Nash said he and Jackson have never had a conversation during his 17-year career, despite playing against Jackson and the Lakers in three playoff series. Jackson famously talked about Nash's penchant for carrying the ball before the Lakers played the Suns in the 2010 Western Conference Finals.
"I do remember that," Nash said when reminded about the incident. "He was usually good for those to plant something in a ref's ear. I actually kind of like it. It's part of his charm. I think it's great."
Whether Nash ends up playing for Jackson or D'Antoni, he thinks he'll be able to flourish in either coach's system when he returns to the court.
"I think basketball is still basketball," Nash said. "At the end of the day the idea is still to put pressure on the defense and create scoring opportunities. That's something I've had a lot of success at in my career and whatever offense it is I think I can find a niche in there somewhere."
Nash suffered a small fracture to his fibula in a collision with Portland Trail Blazers rookie Damian Lillard on Oct. 31 and he has been sidelined ever since. Nash said there was no timetable for his return to the court but when he was reminded that the Lakers played his former team, the Suns, on Friday, he said he would like to be able to play that game if he were medically cleared.
"Obviously I'd love to play in that game," Nash said. "But I can only follow nature's path."
- Former columnist and writer after five years with Sports Illustrated
- Markazi has also written for Slam, King, Vibe and Playboy
- On board of directors for Jim Murray Memorial Foundation.
Latest Nigeria News
- What are ewe looking at? Hundreds of sheep paraded through the streets of Madrid as shepherds mark an ancient tradition dating back to 1273
- First Ladies Unite: Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama to join forces at Thursday rally
- Michael Moore comes under fire for calling ALL Donald Trump supporters 'legal terrorists' - and comparing him to a 'pedophile'
- Couple’s £40,000 dream wedding on a Greek island turned into a nightmare when they discovered their overnight honeymoon bag had been stolen
- Gable Tostee wrote a defence just months after Warriena Wright's death
- Detectives seek more information on two cars seized during investigation into disappearance of Texas college student, 22, who went missing after going on a date
- The 'race is on' to bring child migrants to Britain
- Gordon Hamilton a University Of Maine professor
- Police watchdog to probe 'botched investigation' after family of an engaged serviceman found hanged in his room after having sex with another man insist he did not commit suicide
- Trump team says 'we are behind' but can still win the race
- 'The oppression of Donald Trump': Former Arizona governor Jan Brewer says Trump accusers 'waterboarded' GOP candidate by making sexual assault allegations
- California freeway crash involving tour bus and semi-truck leaves at least 13 dead
- Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry has died aged 93
- Mystery over who killed Melbourne mother Maddison Murphy-West could finally be solved
- Founder of a children's charity who received a prize from campaigner Esther Rantzen has been jailed for 16 years for child sex offences
- Armed police detain man in Northolt after three DAY siege of house 'filled with petrol bombs'
- Robbery suspect files lawsuit claiming Pennsylvania police officer 'kicked him in the head during arrest which left him hospitalized for three days'
- Eighteen-year-old 'killer' says she should be allowed to marry her accomplice boyfriend in prison after they shot elderly couple dead
- Jodie Kidd reveals why she abandoned her glittering fashion career
- The test that predicts whether you and your partner will break up (and be prepared for some home truths)
- As 40 estates a week go unclaimed - here's why you should write a will and how to arrange your bequests for free
- How to protect your home from burglars: Tips from a reformed thief
- Gas safety engineer who poisoned girlfriend and her daughter is BACK at work
- Shocking CCTV footage captures the moment a thugs launches a savage attack on a mother after she asked him not to smoke in the lift she was sharing with her toddler
- Calais Jungle migrants vow to clamber on board lorries and trains crossing the Channel
- Ex-Army captain was arrested and questioned for 14hrs about comments made in Iraq
- Prince Charles 'blocks Prince Andrew's request for Beatrice and Eugenie's royal roles'
- Ex-Tory MP Harvey Proctor demands false accusers face prosecution after sex claims
- Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe forced to wear adult nappies after wetting the bed
- Queen Letizia of Spain wows in vibrant fuchsia coat with King Felipe VI
- Secret to 'eternal youth' is an OVARY transplant, as it can slow the ageing process
- Kettering mother holding a toddler SPITS at a man who told her off for parking in driveway
- Tom Jones reveals his devastation after losing his wife of 59 years to cancer
- Egyptian woman Iman Abdulati is believed to be the fattest woman alive
- British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman breaks her silence on rivalry with Anna Wintour
- Japan explosions in Utsunomiya leave one dead and three injured
- Body of British man found in Malaga had 'ham on buttocks and genitals wedged into TUNA can'
- 'Reasonably attractive' woman from Sydney looking for love posts Reddit plea for help
- Great British Bake Off's Candice says she is called Barbara Windsor on set
- Christian parents of girl who wants to change gender take legal action against council