POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Headlines Newsview all
The Church of England has formally adopted legislation which means its first female bishops could be ordained next year. ...
Students at a South Yorkshire school have been "devastated" by the deaths of five "wonderful" teenagers killed in a car crash. ...
Man and his six 'wing men' arrested for 'offering an undercover officer dressed like a prostitute $3 and a CHICKEN DINNER in exchange for sex'A group of Florida men were arrested on Thursday night after one of them allegedly offered an undercover cop dressed as a prostitute $3 and a chicken dinner in exchange for sex....
'Bringing Australians from all around the world home to the people and places they love': Qantas unveils new campaign 'Feels like home'Qantas is set to unveil a new campaign in a heart-felt advertisement, which centres around real people returning home to their loved ones in a bid to boost customer loyalty and rebuild its brand....
Tributes to 'popular and proud' schoolgirl footballer, 17, who died suddenly after 'collapsing at home'Friends and relatives have paid tribute to a 17-year-old girl who died suddenly this week after collapsing at home....
Today's Latest News
- Prince William sends Ebola message urging people in West Africa to 'stay safe'
- 'Infected' kidneys rejected as unfit
- Scotland host match against England for the first time in 15 years
- Brit Avraham Shmuel Goldberg slaughtered in Israel synagogue atack
- Gavin Dunnicliffe caught on CCTV beating partner's ex-lover with piping
- I'll impose a mansion tax... Pure and Simple: Miliband mocks singer Myleene Klass after clashing over Labour plans to target the rich
- ISIS accused of using stills from 'Hungarian porn' in propaganda
- Zacarias Moussaoui says two Saudi royals 'paid for Osama bin Laden's 9/11 plot'
- Ray Cole, jailed in Morocco for being gay, relieved as charges are dropped
- Transplant patients died after getting kidneys from alcoholic donor
- 250m more children living with both parents than in 2010, reveals Iain Duncan Smith
- Helen Turnbull who kissed pupil told him it was her 'guilty pleasure' court hears
- Scientists begin to sift through Mackintosh Library ruins at Glasgow University
- Eating biscuits and cakes could damage your memory regardless of your age
- Dad talks of gas blast 'miracle'
- House destroyed by 'gas explosion'
- 'Painfully shy' woman who was the butt of cruel jibes about her lack of confidence overcomes the bullies to be crowned Miss Great Britain
- 'Pleb' Geldof defends friend Mitchell
- People most likely to shake up their lives as they approach big birthdays
- After Myleene Klass and Ed Miliband's TV debate, we show you what £2m buys
- British couples' dream £140,000 Spanish villas are demolished by bulldozers after losing ten-year legal battle caused by former mayor forging documents
- Stanley, dubbed real Superdog runs like he's flying through the air
- Image shows hunching over your phone puts four STONE of pressure on the spine
- Secret mafia initiation society captured on camera for the first time
- Freezing chicken could slash the risk of food poisoning
- Partners who have a milestone birthday coming up more likely to CHEAT, warns study
- Camilla Duchess of Cornwall takes tea with HMP Erlestoke prisoners
- Sprinters with even legs use less energy and cover distances more quickly
- How nearly a quarter of fashion ads on Facebook hawk counterfeits
- Alex Salmond bows out as First Minister with last bid to beat the English
- Nafees Hamid jailed for 16 years for indecently assaulting 6 female patients
- Six in ten women admit letting themselves go over the winter months
- Marylebone penthouse with the Chiltern Firehouse next door on sale for £25M
- Baroness Warsi compares Palestinians 'storming' synagogue with Israelis 'storming' mosque
- Bloody attack at Jerusalem synagogue
- Fifa in World Cup criminal complaint
- Labour wants longer EU benefit delay
- VIDEO: Prince supports educational Ebola video
- VIDEO: Synagogue victim 'feared radicalisation'
- Organic molecules detected on comet
- Rotherham abuse officers investigated
- Bird flu strain on UK farm identified
- VIDEO: Belfast woman in £12.9m lottery win
- Mother sentenced over child killings
- VIDEO: Highlights of Alex Salmond's career
- Watchdog ranks GP surgeries by risk
- VIDEO: Inside burned Mackintosh building
- HK authorities clear protest site
- Quarter of sex offences go unrecorded
- Just when it couldn't get any worse, Ed takes a TV battering from Myleene: Labour leader humiliated after he is taken to task by singer over proposed mansion tax
- Andy Coulson will wear electronic tag after less than five months of 18-month sentence
- 'A palaeontologist might search their entire career to find a fossil of this quality... it took her a few hours': Experts stunned after girl, 7, finds 100 million-year-old skeleton of ancient reptile
- Labour pledges extra border staff
- Is this the most dangerous fan photo ever? David Beckham snaps a woman taking his picture in Vietnam while shes riding a motorbike with a BABY on her lap
- VIDEO: Lava field 'bigger than Manhattan'
- Third woman to accuse Bill Cosby of raping her as a teenager speaks out
- Alleged extremist left 'stateless'
- Charles Manson gets marriage license and may wed admirer next month
- Elderly people who are poor 'have eight fewer teeth than the richest 20% of society'
- Jealous wife from Switzerland fined after threatening topless model
- 'World's sexiest criminal' Stephanie Beaudoin says she's sorry - but still faces years in prison after agreeing GUILTY pleas to theft and firearm charges
- More than 1.4million will fund Christmas using payday loans: Figures show average adult spends £530 over festive season
- Over 70 and yes, I admit I can't live without alcohol
- Taxman let stars duck £10m bill because it was 'unacceptably' slow
- The maiden who's join the Test Match Special boys: England women's star Isa Guha becomes first female expert summariser on Radio 4 programme
- Helen Turnbull accused of having sex with teen denies cheating on her husband
- Vehicles getting bigger and spaces staying the same blamed for car park prangs
- Overweight woman reveals society's disgust at her obesity in powerful new photo series
- Mac on... Rise in older women being treated for alcoholism
- WWI battle revealed in collection of secret images by George Hackney
- Three parent babies are unsafe, warns top US scientist: Adviser on the issue says there are unresolved safety concerns and years more testing is required
- Why do we let these oddballs dictate what women wear?
- Wine lovers splash out £8 a bottle
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: 'Unsuitable' rating shocks Paddington writer
- So could a tag that spies on your boozing keep you sober? HARRY MOUNT tries out the little black box which tracks alcohol consumption
Rate this article
Current USA News
Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security about the fate of her character on the summer soap "Mistresses"
Unlike her days dodging a Smoke Monster and exploring underground hatches on the mysterious island of "Lost," actress Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security ... Full story
Dallas Cowboys star wide receiver Dez Bryant was a victim of rookie hazing in 2010. The first-round pick made headlines in training camp when he ... Full story
Ailing radio personality Casey Kasem was taken by ambulance to a medical facility in Washington state after an argument between his wife and daughter, authorities ... Full story
TV icon Ralph Waite, best known for his portrayal of stalwart father figure John Walton on The Waltons, passed away in February at the age ... Full story
James Maslow and his partner Peta Murgatroyd are all smiles as they peek outside her trailer in this exclusive behind-the-scenes Dancing with the Stars pic!The ... Full story
During a panel discussion in Los Angeles last week, Rove told an audience that if Clinton runs for president, prior health issues — including the ... Full story
Ann Curry, former co-anchor of "The Today Show," was rescued from a New York mountain by Boy Scouts after she broke her ankle, according to ... Full story
The handsome football player gets drafted by an NFL team, plants an emotional kiss on his sweetheart and gives sportscasts a feel-good video clip.It's a ... Full story
Some of the schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamic militant group Boko Haram have been paraded on video. The terror group said many of them had been converted ... Full story
- Olympic gold medalist Jeneba Tarmoh speaks out against 'ignorance' over Ebola
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor
"Duck Dynasty" star Sadie Robertson traded in her casual Louisiana garb for a gown Monday night when she walked the runway at New York Fashion ... Full story
Relatives of the September 11 victims gathered at ground zero today to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the attack that killed almost 3,000 people. The moment ... Full story
When a 42-year-old Hugh Hefner first asked an 18-year-old Playmate on a date, she replied that she had 'never dated anyone over 24'. 'That's all right,' ... Full story
Photos Of Lisa Sparks, Woman Who Holds The World Record Of Sleeping With 919 Men In 24Hrs ... Full story
There's nothing that can stop the sexy singer from having a good time, like these amazing gallery of pictures suggest It’s got to the point where ... Full story