POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Headlines Newsview all
The Reverend Libby Lane was ordained a deacon in 1993 The first female bishop for the Church of England has been revealed as the Reverend Libby ...
Radio Times includes Two Little Boys by paedophile entertainer Rolf Harris in poll to find best ever Christmas number one
Two Little Boys, by convicted paedophile Rolf Harris, was included in a Radio Times Christmas number one poll Radio Times chiefs have come under fire for ...
Swiss photographer held hostage by Islamist extremists for two years escapes by grabbing machete and cutting captor's throat in dramatic break for freedom
A Swiss wildlife photographer who was held hostage by Islamic extremists for more than two years has dramatically escaped to his freedom by cutting his ...
Boris Johnson says shadow chancellor Ed Balls has the look of a man undergoing an 'unexpected prostate examination' in speech to Tory fundraisersBoris Johnson claimed shadow chancellor Ed Balls has the look of a man undergoing an 'unexpected prostate examination' in an extraordinary speech to Tory fundraisers. The Mayor of London stunned the room of Conservative party members with the comments, which he made at a fundraiser in Nottingham, East Midlands. During the event, he also told the 70-strong crowd that Mr Balls and...
Farage reveals his life's 'big regret': Not seeing his two daughters grow up because he spent too much time campaigningUkip leader Nigel Farage has revealed his 'big regret' in life was spending too much time on politics – and not being able to see his daughters grow up. Mr Farage makes the admission in an booze-fuelled interview with Gogglebox 'posh couple' Steph and Dom Parker. The controversial politician is set to appear in a special Channel 4 spin-off from the popular...
'Food is being delivered, staff are bringing it out from the kitchen': Newsman with view into Sydney café tweets live coverage of the tense standoffThe most dramatic and insightful details of the hostage crisis unfolding in Sydney are being revealed minute by minute as a journalist live tweets his eyewitness account from his office across the street. 'The lights have gone out,' Seven Network reporter Chris Reason tweeted tonight, as he revealed dramatic details of the situation. Reason, who was so close he could see the...
Cops hit out at 'total nincompoop' de Blasio after mayor describes 'alleged' attack on two officers during protestsNYPD top brass are furious at de Blasio's implication that the beating may not have happened, claiming no such skepticism is ever shown when officers are accused of violence against civilians. He made the remarks after the two officers were set upon by protesters during a demonstration on Brooklyn Bridge against recent police killings, including the 'chokehold' death of Eric Garner...
Exercising in the aisle, demanding water after take-off and asking for upgrades to first class: Flight attendants reveal their most irritating passenger habitsMost travellers will have had the misfortune of sitting next to an unruly or inconsiderate plane passenger at some point. But spare a thought for the cabin crew who have to endure the irritations of poorly behaved customers on a daily basis. In fact, flight attendants encounter such regular frustrations that they have now been moved to compile lists of passengers' most...
Germany reopens 1980 Oktoberfest bombing case after new witness comes forward with evidence that suggests the right wing gun nut may have had helpMore than three decades after a bomb ripped through the crowd at Munich's world famous Oktoberfest killing 13 people, German prosecutors have reopened the investigation into the deadly far-right terrorist attack. Prompted by fresh evidence from a previously unknown female witness, investigators are hoping to shed a new light on the 1980 explosion that also injured 200 revellers at the popular beer...
Today's Latest News
- BREAKING NEWS: Allegations of murder and torture made against British soldiers by Iraqi detainees were 'deliberate lies', rules war crimes inquiry
- High Court rejected Sydney siege gunman's appeal against conviction for writing offensive letters to soldiers killed in Afghanistan just three days before he stormed cafe
- UK's highest court rules two Catholic midwives can not object to being involved in abortions in landmark case
- Craig Field sentenced to seven years in prison for killing farmer with deadly punch
- Pensioner, 75, left lying on freezing pavement for TWO HOURS waiting for an ambulance after fall - despite passers-by phoning 999 FIVE TIMES
- 'Blood and flesh fell on my face... it was a pool of death': Teenage Pakistan school massacre survivor gives his account
- Man dies of a suspected heart attack 'while being restrained in corner shop by four men' after biting a DOG outside
- UK soldiers 'mistreated detainees'
- 'It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Bubba Claus!' Golfer Bubba Watson release hysterical Christmas rap video
- Cops are the most obese workers in America, study reveals
- 'Adrenaline junkie', 12, was killed in a motocross accident in front of his father as he attempted huge jump for the first time
- Russian economy in crisis: Now Apple halts all sales in the country because it cannot set prices while the rouble is so volatile
- Nativity donkey dies after being 'squashed' by portly man who sat on it at Spanish fair
- Catholic midwives lose abortion case
- From Kings Cross party-girl to alleged murderess and self-confessed 'terrorist': How the wife of Sydney siege gunman became his greatest supporter - and she's still out on bail
- UK unemployment falls again
- Pictured: The teacher burnt to death in front of her class of children because she was married to a soldier, as scale of destruction inside Taliban massacre school emerges
- Lindt cafe manager was executed by gunman with a single shot to the head as a final cold-blooded act of the siege
- First female bishop - Libby Lane
- 'By labelling him a terrorist... it gives a certain grandeur': Russell Brand weighs in on Sydney siege criticising the media for reporting gunman had links to ISIS
- 'The system did not adequately deal with this individual': Prime Minister Tony Abbott urges review of gun laws and promises full report into the tragic Sydney cafe siege
- Pakistan mourns its school dead
- Greatest twist in TV drama history? Final episode of The Missing sets Twitter ablaze as millions tuned in to watch 'mesmerising and chilling' ending... and series two is already on the way
- Britain has been just 'days' from a murderous terror attack, with five plots foiled since the summer
- Church of England's first female bishop to be named today - a month after rules were changed to allow it
- 'Radio Mullah': The bloodthirsty Taliban leader who planned Pakistani school massacre - and also ordered the hit on Malala
- VIDEO: Inside the 'Harry Potter' church
- Cockroaches and rat droppings cover kitchen of The Golden Dragon Chinese takeaway that is shut down in 'one of worst cases in 12 years'
- Retired nurse, 88, died from horrific burns after shouting 'too hot, too hot' as she was lowered into bath at care home
- VIDEO: Welby 'overwhelmed' by Ebola survivors
- Model who lost her looks to drugs then went on run with boyfriend who killed cop is released from prison
- Hillary is early frontrunner for President: Poll says half of Americans support Clinton bid for White House
- Britain was soft on China over Hong Kong protests because it needs Beijing's money, Dalai Lama says
- Mark Wahlberg's former bodyguard says star should NOT be pardoned for viciously beating Vietnamese man 26 years ago
- UK Iraq abuse inquiry to report
- British ex-soldiers who travelled to Syria to fight ISIS say battlefield 'was like World War One'
- Hollywood A-listers urge Americans to see Kim Jong-un movie The Interview
- Sony movie's NY premiere cancelled
- L.A. police to wear body cameras financed by Spielberg to 'help hold officers' accountable for misconduct'
- VIDEO: UK may allow 'three parent babies'
- Heads bowed in prayer and heartfelt tributes written in chalk on the pavement: Thousands of people continue to pay their respects to victims of the Sydney siege
- North Koreans bow to mark the 'official' start of Kim Jong Un's rule - as mystery hackers use terror threats to get movie that shows his 'assassination' pulled from US theaters
- Apple halts Russian online sales
- Chinese TV presenter who rejected chemotherapy after discovering she had cancer when she was pregnant dies
- Abbott pledges Sydney attacker review
- VIDEO: Millionaire sues ski slope chippy
- Boxer Crolla 'attacked by burglars'
- I may be the last, says Dalai Lama
- VIDEO: Sony hackers threaten cinema attack
- 'Gang murder law' review call by MPs
- Food giant offered 'unreasonable' deal
- Petrol 'to fall below £1 a litre'
- VIDEO: Emergency over plane engine fire
- VIDEO: Erasure fan prompts Tube singalong
- VIDEO: Miss World on her African heritage
- VIDEO: Testing out paying by gloves
- Chris Christie angers New Jersey with his high-fiving appearance in executive box cheering on the Dallas Cowboys - in Philadelphia
- Online petition gets 68,000 signatures after gunman, on bail, brought Sydney to a standstill
- Failed bombers who tried to blow up the tube on July 21 lose appeal
- Slovakian mugger allowed into UK despite previous convictions jailed for attacking woman
- Parents of autistic man shackled to bed relieved as Government steps in after petition
- Bill Clinton says that Eric Garner 'did not deserve to die'
- Taliban school massacre kills scores
- Failed London bombers lose appeal
- Boris Johnson says shadow chancellor Ed Balls has the look of a man undergoing an 'unexpected prostate examination' in speech to Tory fundraisers
- White Americans to become a minority by 2044 thanks to ageing population
- Carol E. Levy says she's forced to share multimillion home with her ex AND new husband
- Sinkhole opened up and swallowed three parked cars in Port Melbourne
- 'Winter Blunderland' designed by Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen shuts down
- Richard Shepherd who stole thousands from charity for terminally ill children is jailed
- Hunt for serial sex attacker who could be as young as 12 after five indecently assaults in Manchester
- James Bond's favourite cocktail to appear in Spectre after Belvedere Vodka deal
- Savile compensation scheme approved
- Slump in inflation to 12-year low helps ease the squeeze on family finances
- Sydney cafe siege could have happened in Britain, David Cameron warns
Rate this article
Current USA News
Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security about the fate of her character on the summer soap "Mistresses"
Unlike her days dodging a Smoke Monster and exploring underground hatches on the mysterious island of "Lost," actress Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security ... Full story
Dallas Cowboys star wide receiver Dez Bryant was a victim of rookie hazing in 2010. The first-round pick made headlines in training camp when he ... Full story
Ailing radio personality Casey Kasem was taken by ambulance to a medical facility in Washington state after an argument between his wife and daughter, authorities ... Full story
TV icon Ralph Waite, best known for his portrayal of stalwart father figure John Walton on The Waltons, passed away in February at the age ... Full story
James Maslow and his partner Peta Murgatroyd are all smiles as they peek outside her trailer in this exclusive behind-the-scenes Dancing with the Stars pic!The ... Full story
During a panel discussion in Los Angeles last week, Rove told an audience that if Clinton runs for president, prior health issues — including the ... Full story
Ann Curry, former co-anchor of "The Today Show," was rescued from a New York mountain by Boy Scouts after she broke her ankle, according to ... Full story
The handsome football player gets drafted by an NFL team, plants an emotional kiss on his sweetheart and gives sportscasts a feel-good video clip.It's a ... Full story
Some of the schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamic militant group Boko Haram have been paraded on video. The terror group said many of them had been converted ... Full story
"Duck Dynasty" star Sadie Robertson traded in her casual Louisiana garb for a gown Monday night when she walked the runway at New York Fashion ... Full story
Relatives of the September 11 victims gathered at ground zero today to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the attack that killed almost 3,000 people. The moment ... Full story
When a 42-year-old Hugh Hefner first asked an 18-year-old Playmate on a date, she replied that she had 'never dated anyone over 24'. 'That's all right,' ... Full story
Photos Of Lisa Sparks, Woman Who Holds The World Record Of Sleeping With 919 Men In 24Hrs ... Full story
There's nothing that can stop the sexy singer from having a good time, like these amazing gallery of pictures suggest It’s got to the point where ... Full story