POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Headlines Newsview all
Police confirm Bruce Jenner DID rear-end car in fatal wreck and could face six years in prison if found guilty of manslaughterPolice confirm Bruce Jenner DID rear-end car in fatal wreck and could face six years in prison if found guilty of manslaughter Cops have confirmed that they are in possession of video that shows Jenner was responsible for chain-reaction crash that resulted in a woman's death He steered to avoid cars slowing for a traffic light in front of him on Pacific...
Jeb Bush put me through hell': Husband of brain-dead woman who governor battled over wife's right to die says untrustworthy and vindictive politician shouldn't be allowed near the Oval OfficeThe husband of brain-dead woman whose right-to-die battle in Florida sparked national outrage has slammed then-Governor Jeb Bush as 'vindictive', 'untrustworthy' and 'a coward' Theresa Marie 'Terri' Schiavo lived in a vegetative state from 1990 to 2005 following a cardiac arrest as doctors kept her alive with feeding tubes. Throughout the 15-year battle, her husband Michael Schiavo said, Jeb Bush fought with...
Today's Latest News
- Cyber criminals steal login details for Government Gateway site
- Seville doctor declared dead in 2010 found living in Tuscan nature reserve
- Caparo Plc's Angad Paul plunges to his death from his penthouse
- Shocking CCTV shows moment an 87-year-old woman was punched in the face on a bus after she confronted teenagers when they refused to buy a ticket
- PC Sharon Beshenivsky's children speak for first time about their mother's death
- Aung San Suu Kyi's fans celebrate Myanmar's first free elections in 25 years
- New Faces of Evil book ranks Bomber Harris with Hitler and Pol Pot
- Nine new prisons to replace old jails
- David Cameron to set date for EU referendum if others agree to reform package
- Malabar brother and sister tried to save the life of father who died of a heart attack
- Charlie Hebdo attacked by Russians over cartoons mocking Egypt plane crash
- Celebrities including Meryl Streep and Jon Hamm gather to honor life of Mike Nichols
- Amateur historian uncovers mystery location of Australia's Stonehenge in NSW
- Unrest hits Australia migrant centre
- How Louise de Weger conquered the art world all through Instagram
- Great white shark appears suddenly in video to smash into cage holding a diver
- NFL's Greg Hardy expresses 'regret' over domestic violence involving ex-girlfriend
- Explosives expert, 60, killed in blast on Harkaway construction site
- Photographer Richard Green and wife Carolyn believed to be on missing helicopter flight
- Stoney Emshwiller fielded questions on video when he was 18 to ask himself now
- How much salt and sugar do YOUR favourite brands contain?
- YouTube video shows a dead bird in a Walmart can of Great Value Sauerkraut
- Myanmar awaits result of landmark poll
- Osborne 'secures deals' on 30% cuts
- Steel industry calls for EU action
- IAAF awaits doping report findings
- VIDEO: Tired teens start school at lunchtime
- Women's Institute buildings relisted
- VIDEO: Christmas Island detainees 'were angry'
- VIDEO: Cars swallowed up in Mississippi
- Carmichael legal challenge to resume
- Supreme Court hears rendition claim
- Boy and two men charged with murder
- HS2 route tree voted nation's favourite
- Russia flies 11,000 Egypt tourists home
- VIDEO: Counting begins in historic Myanmar poll
- VIDEO: Lord Coe: 'Dark days for athletics'
- VIDEO: Mysterious light in California sky
- VIDEO: Blinded veteran who rebuilt his life
- VIDEO: Is this the internet's most famous cat?
- Migrants at UK base in Cyprus demand to be 'freed from jail' and allowed to leave for Europe as they accuse the British military of dashing their 'dreams'
- Tesco in Wrexham is recruiting for Britain’s first Christmas tree light untangler
- Thousands of Britons to fly home from Sharm today: More than 20 flights will bring stranded tourists back... but only with the bare essentials
- Horrific accident leaves two dead after train rams into lorry at railway crossing in Germany and both catch fire
- VIDEO: Chuckles as Charles congratulates All Blacks
- Finding Her Majesty’s hero: Queen opens up for first time about her family’s search for missing body of her uncle who died in WWI battlefield aged 26
- Jobandeep Gill jailed 10 years for crash that killed Beckett family
- Veteran journalist Kerry O'Brien leaves ABC's Four Corners after five years
- Vietnamese maths tutor Quy Huy 'Peter' Hoang found guilty of eight charges
- Anonymous posts Ku Klux Klan list
- TalkTalk hack 'affected 157,000'
- UK spies uncovered ‘the ISIS bomb plot’ for the Russian plane crash
- VIDEO: 'Over 20 flights will bring British back'
- Hackers accessed details of more than 150,000 TalkTalk customers
- Stranded Brits in Sharm to fly home
- AFL player Jake Carlisle pictured snorting a ‘white powder’ on SnapChat has been suspended by St Kilda Saints for two games
- He didn't get the memo! Driver in a £100,000 Aston Martin takes route straight through the Million Mask March as violence broke out... guess what happened to his car
- DAVID DERBYSHIRE says Cadbury's US owners have gone too far
- Seven weeks to go and the John Lewis Christmas ad’s here already! Store’s iconic commercial set to melt hearts for another year with story of six-year-old girl trying to reach lonely ‘Man on the Moon’
- NY Marathon runners Joe Duarte and Katie Mascenik find woman who took engagement photo
- Retired RAF sergeant arrested by armed police after toy gun mistaken for a real firearm
- Pilot who crashed and died in NYC waters was a Harvard-educated former Navy commander
- Talk about milking it! Rescued baby cow 'Goliath' is convinced he is a dog - and has even started sleeping on the couch
- Germany 'overwhelmed' with false asylum seekers' Syrian passports
- Candyman rebuilds his Gold Coast party mansion
- Sydney weather sees huge thunderheads roll across the sky bringing rain and strong winds
- VIDEO: What is life like living with ADHD?
- 'Morally indefensible not to bomb IS'
- VIDEO: Brazil dam burst: Rivers of mud
- Brazil dam burst engulfs homes
- VIDEO: Obama: 'Possible bomb on board'
- Police hospitalised in London protest
- Court cells 'squalid and dangerous'
- UK astronaut to rekindle space buzz
- 'Value for money' promise for students
Rate this article
Current USA News
Former President George W. Bush may have campaigned against same-sex marriage a decade ago, but he more recently offered to officiate a lesbian wedding, according ... Full story
To say Nick Cannon is one of the busiest guys in the entertainment business is an understatement. The all-around entertainer is busy producing shows for ... Full story
Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security about the fate of her character on the summer soap "Mistresses"
Unlike her days dodging a Smoke Monster and exploring underground hatches on the mysterious island of "Lost," actress Yunjin Kim feels a sense of security ... Full story
Dallas Cowboys star wide receiver Dez Bryant was a victim of rookie hazing in 2010. The first-round pick made headlines in training camp when he ... Full story
Ailing radio personality Casey Kasem was taken by ambulance to a medical facility in Washington state after an argument between his wife and daughter, authorities ... Full story
- Journalist Fears For Her Life After Duping ISIS
- D.C. Quadruple Murder: What Happened To The Money
- FIFA Rocked By Arrests On Corruption Charges