POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Latest Nigeria News
- Dogs bark through gate but quickly back down when it opens
- Agriculture, homebuilders, and golf resisted water rule
- Pigeon flies straight into an oncoming car in Farnborough
- Luton officer who had sex with rape victim is thrown out
- THREE suns appear in the sky due to an optical illusion
- Web designer stole £100,000 from TV star boss's firm
- Neighbours bemused after sightings of a NAKED female clown
- Shopper got criminal record after picking up £20 note
- Male nurse 'secretly made videos of naked female patients'
- Viewers laugh at woman's video as she peels off face mask
- Wild elephants caught mating in infrared footage
- Mother says fellow parent sent racist texts to daughter
- DNA test shows Subway items may contain 50% chicken
- Hatton Garden raiders plotted raid 5 years earlier
- George W. Bush lashes out at 'racism' in the Trump era
- 17-year-old Rover 45 sells for less than price of a pint
- Pupils punished for sharing nude photo of school director
- Mom who adopted Filipino baby born without arms or legs
- Siblings fell to death as parent dropped them by accident
- Teen brothers 'smash up Girl Scout stand over $20 debt'
- Trevor Noah buys Manhattan penthouse for a cool $10million
- Adam Johnson girlfriend Stacey Flounders arrives at court
- Italian DJ takes his own life at Swiss suicide clinic
- MIT student wins College Jeopardy! with hilarious response
- Trump builds Marine One helipad at Mar-a-Lago club
- Thara John Memory 'sexually abused 2 women, 2 girls'
- Etna volcano erupts in eastern Sicily
- Jared and Kay Jewelers employees 'sexually harassed'
- Green pays £363MILLION to settle up the BHS pension scheme
- Council worker 'called his Muslim colleague a "raghead"'
- Trump denies 'major leak' problem in the White House
- BFI release home movie of super-rich family in Arbroath
- Footballer is cleared of bullying besotted girl into sex
- The SAS mission to destroy Argentinian Exocet missiles
- Fly-tippers dump a CARAVAN on a rural roadside
- Jon Stewart tells the media to end obsession with Trump
- UFO believers go nuts over Tasmania 'fireball' video
- Father, 34, dies after he was stabbed in the heart
- 'Cannibal' frat boy cries in unaired Dr. Phil interview
- Kate McCann branded 'a dreadful mother' by Karen Matthews