POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Latest Nigeria News
- Thomas Cook flight kicks off 'drunk passengers' from Turkey flight
- Blown the budget already Jeremy? After episodes filmed in California and Middle East, next episode of Clarkson's The Grand Tour comes from Whitby and South Wales
- How Prince William's thinning hairline makes him look almost a decade older
- Virginia Ironside explains why she's fed up of bossy nurses
- Brazen thief stole a woman's iPhone in a violent robbery
- How YOU can get free Starbucks with this money-saving hack
- Would you spend £10,000 on home lighting to make yourself look younger? These women have - and think it's worth every penny
- Jocelyn Wildenstein arrested after 'slashing her designer boyfriend with scissors
- Stunning images from National Geographic's Best Photos of 2016 gallery
- Tata Steel and unions hammer out plan to save 9,500 Port Talbot jobs
- Super-rich Christmas shopping list from £5,000 jumpers to a £177,000 watch
- George Osborne's stamp duty reforms have cost the Treasury £500m
- Thousands of us go on skiing trips but don't bother to ski! Holidaymakers travelling to winter resorts simply for the nightlife
- Meghan Markle is all smiles after her whirlwind two days with Prince Harry
- Heysham cannabis addict smothered his seven-month-old son to death
- Aviation expert reveals how to travel in luxury on a short-haul flight
- Girlfriend who subjected her boyfriend to 3-year campaign of abuse is spared jail
- FEMAIL give their verdict on the chocolate treats YOU can make at home (and you'll need a hairdryer to do it!)
- New generation material won't pile on the pounds or make you look like you're wearing the sofa
- Growing scandal of care homes that PUNISH families who dare to complain
- Florida Sandy Hook denier allegedly made death threats against
- Thieves copy Home Alone 2 movie plot and pose as shop DUMMIES in Worthing
- Georgia officer fired after bodycam footage showed him tormenting teen during traffic stop
- Retrial begins for Florida woman 'who tried to hire a hit man to kill her newlywed husband because she wanted his $250,000 in savings and their $225,000 town house'
- 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be investigated after using image rights to reduce their bills
- Remains of sailor killed on USS Oklahoma during Pearl Harbor attack are laid to rest
- Police, coastguard and volunteers search for missing teenager Ben Savage in Kent
- Eggs from hens kept indoors still labelled as free range after European bird flu outbreak
- Homeowners call suspended rubbish collections over Christmas a 'public health problem' after cost-cutting councils slash rounds
- Suspected Comancheros bikie posts photo outside police station on Facebook while on the run
- Divorce and family breakdown is leaving nine million Britons lonely
- Probe launched into 302 killings by British troops in Northern Ireland
- A-level result predictions are too high for 80% of pupils as teachers try to boost candidates' chances of going to a good university
- Petrol bomb on electrical substation could take out Penrith hospital
- YouTube Rewind behind the scenes reveals the top videos of 2016 including Carpool Karaoke
- Bronson 'Lizard Man' Ellery's friend took his gun to stop Southport murder-suicide
- WWE's Linda McMahon will lead Trump's Small Business Administration
- NSW Premier Mike Baird relaxes Sydney lockout laws by half an hour
- 2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
- Melbourne weather: temperature plummets to five degrees ahead of heavy rain and110/km winds