POMONA, Calif. -- Top Fuel driver Antron Brown started Sunday with a losing effort and burned hands. He ended the day as the NHRA Top Fuel champion, the first African American driver in history to win a major auto racing title.
Brown had to stand and watch the final round with bandages on his hands, knowing his Don Schumacher Racing teammate, seven-time champion Tony Schumacher, would take the title from him if he won the match up with Brandon Bernstein in the Auto Club Finals.
But Bernstein won the final by inches on a holeshot (slower elapsed time but better reaction time at the start) to deny Schumacher and make Brown the champion. Bernstein reached the finish line in 3.76 seconds at 320 miles per hour, edging Schumacher's 3.75 elapsed time at 325 mph.
"You don't wish nothing bad on anybody," Brown said. "Tony has been by biggest supporter since Day 1. He has helped me leaps and bounds along the way. Tony's a class act. I'm just beside myself. I feel so blessed to be in this moment."
Schumacher started the day 70 points behind Brown, but almost pulled off the comeback.
"It's a terrible way to lose, but there's no good way to lose," Schumacher said. "They gave me a great car that got to the end, but the win light didn't come on. I'm sure Antron is back there celebrating. He will be a great champion."
Brown suffered minor burns on his hands when the engine on his dragster caught fire in a first-round loss Sunday at the Auto Club Finals.
"It's just a little first-degree burns on my hands," Brown said after leaving the track care center. "It was tough outing. We were just going for it. I don't know what went wrong with the car yet, just a rough mishap."
Brown quickly climbed out of the car when flames came in the cockpit. His fire suit was singed as he pulled it off to his waist. Brown was walking around on the track before an ambulance took him to the care center.
Brown lost in the opening round to DSR teammate Spencer Massey, who also was trying to win the championship. Massey had to win the opening round to keep his hopes alive. Massey lost in the second round to Bernstein, who is one of Brown's closest friends.
Brown said he would have been able to continue racing with his burns had he won in the first round. He could have clinched the title by winning the first two rounds of Sunday's event.
"My guys did an incredible job this year," Brown said. "We will keep our heads high. We're still here. We have to see what happens, just watch and sit and wait. That's all we can do."
He watched and he won in the end, making history as the first black champion.
"I never really thought about it that way," Brown said. "But if I can be an inspiration to any kids out there, as a guy who never settled and never doubted myself, that's great."
- Senior writer for
- 25 years for Texas newspapers
- Member of Texas Motorsports Hall of Fame
Latest Nigeria News
- Premier Inn voted best UK hotel chain and Britannia is ranked the worst
- James Bond would never get a job in the real-life MI6 says chief Alex Younger
- Father who believes every man should have vasectomy once the family’s complete
- Bosnian town where ONLY Arabs live and most women are third wives is slammed by locals
- Has your pet got dementia? Jonny the tabby has - much to the anguish of his owners. And a surprising number of other cats and dogs are victims too
- Heathrow expansion will mean the demolition of hundreds of homes and businesses
- West Ham and Chelsea fans clash at London Stadium during EFL Cup tie
- BBC teases new Sherlock series moments after Bake Off final
- Crickets, grasshoppers and worms 'are a far better source of iron for human beings'
- Great British Bake Off has its last slice of action on the BBC leaving viewers in mourning
- Former Dover coastguard station transformed into £3.5m family home
- Italy hit by 2 earthquakes within hours of each other
- Faux fur in growing concerns that may make it even less ethical than real fur
- Arctic warming effect on jet stream may be causing intensely cold winters
- Tragic death of a toddler from sepsis set to save thousands of other children
- Father 'murdered his girlfriend when she told him she wanted to leave him
- Porcelain jar left on shelf for 70 years is now on sale for £200,000
- Hillary Clinton's election night party to take place in Manhattan under glass ceiling
- Taxi bursts into rage at cyclist he claims hit his car in Piccadilly Circus
- Two-year-old girl killed in Ohio shooting that also critically injured pregnant mother
- Hemel Hempstead man found his wife's body inside her car after it crashed into ditch
- Crook is caught on video begging for mercy as he is pinned down by police dog
- Perth mother given overdose of painkiller after heart surgery at Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Northamptonshire man fined £2,500 for term time holiday tells parents to 'to take stand'
- The bungalow garden one man turned into a wonderland: John's 25-year labour of love transformed a patch of grass into an oasis filled with British trees, shrubs and more exotic species
- Schoolchildren perform the haka for New Zealand Olympic gold winner Valerie Adams
- Hillary Clinton wishes happy birthday to HERSELF in bizarre Twitter post
- Malaysian boy suffers horrific injuries after falling on a pair scissors
- Nato squares up to Putin: As Russia beefs up its military might on Europe's border, West responds with biggest show of force since the Cold War
- Chest of drawers made by Apple's Marc Newson sells for £1m at Paris auction
- £7.6BILLION withdrawn from retirement pots since George Osborne's reforms started
- Seaworld's 'naked' penguin gets special wetsuit after feather loss
- Kidnapped, mutilated and butchered as a human sacrifice: Albinos hunted as WITCHES in Africa fight back with stunning beauty pageant... won by 'Miss Albino 2016' whose grandfather wanted her DEAD
- PIERS MORGAN: Memo to Donald Trump and his surrogates: STOP TALKING ABOUT SEX! Women don’t want to hear it and the men you need to vote for you don’t care
- Teenager beaten unconscious at shocking female fight club where pumped-up young girls brawl in front of a baying crowd
- Philippines girl lies dead after being gunned down with suspected 'drug pusher' friend
- Stone Age man killing cave lions for pelts may have led to their extinction
- Wet wipes are wreaking havoc on the environment: Water firms call for 'do not flush' labels to prevent fatbergs
- Women own an average of 14 handbags and spend £6,144 in a lifetime
- Tom Cruise defends his faith as he makes rare public statement on Scientology