- Trump's ban on nationals from six countries goes into effect on March 16
- Hawaii wants to amend existing lawsuit challenging previous travel ban
- Unlike the original ban, the revised order excludes Iraq from list of countries
A day after President Donald Trump signed a revised travel ban, attorneys for Hawaii said the state plans to challenge that order as well.
The state wants to amend its existing lawsuit challenging Trump's previous order to contest the revised one, according to a motion filed Tuesday in federal court in Honolulu.
The new order bars new visas for people from six Muslim-majority countries and temporarily shuts down America's refugee program, affecting would-be visitors and immigrants from Iran, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Libya.
Hawaii Attorney General Doug Chin (seen above on February 3, 2017) speaks at a news conference in Honolulu announcing the state of Hawaii has filed a lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump's travel ban
Hawaii's lawsuit had been on hold while a nationwide injunction on the initial ban remained in place.
This is the second time Hawaii has asked a judge to lift the stay in order to file an amended lawsuit.
Last month, US District Court Judge Derrick Watson in Honolulu allowed the state to file an amended lawsuit adding the Muslim Association of Hawaii's imam as a plaintiff.
The mother-in-law of Imam Ismail Elshikh is a Syrian national living in Syria, according to the lawsuit that details the effect the ban would have had on Elshikh's family and others in Hawaii.
According to the motion, attorneys for the government had no position on the request to file another amended lawsuit.
Hawaii plans to file its amended lawsuit and a motion for a temporary restraining order on Wednesday.
Tuesday's motion proposes a hearing on March 15, a day before the revised ban goes into effect.
Attorneys representing Hawaii couldn't immediately be reached for comment. Hawaii has hired a Washington, DC, law firm to help.
Josh Wisch, a spokesman for the attorney general's office, said last month the firm is giving the state a 50 per cent discount.
'This new executive order is nothing more than Muslim Ban 2.0,' Hawaii Attorney General Doug Chin said in a statement Monday.
'Under the pretense of national security, it still targets immigrants and refugees. It leaves the door open for even further restrictions.'
In signing the order on Monday, Trump removed Iraq from the list of countries targeted.
The new order was also worded in an effort to shield it from being struck down by the courts.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told reporters on Monday that the revised order 'is part of our efforts to eliminate vulnerabilities that radical Islamist terrorists can and will exploit for destructive ends.'
He said it 'will bolster the security of the united states and her allies.'
In signing the order on Monday, Trump (seen in the Oval Office on Monday) removed Iraq from the list of countries targeted. The new order was also worded in an effort to shield it from being struck down by the courts
The president quietly signed the papers Monday morning out of view of cameras and journalists.
His action also revokes the first version, signed in late January.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions defended Trump's immigration policies, saying the US Constitution gives him the power 'to make national security judgments and to enforce our immigration policies in order to safeguard the American public.'
Sessions said 'this executive order is a proper exercise of that power.'
Trump's chief counselor Kellyanne Conway said on 'Fox & Friends' that the new order 'has an effective date of March 16th' – despite Trump's repeated insistence that the measure is a response to urgent national security threats.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kasich says Trump needs to work with Democrats
- Georgia couple battles for the right to give surname Allah
- Daily Show's Trevor Noah mocks Queensland crocodile teen
- Woman killed two and injured another while high on drugs
- Australia's biggest dog Baron has qualified as a therapist
- Joan Crawford plot to kill Bette Davis' Oscar chances
- Trump didn't 'care' or 'know' about healthcare
- White House denies claim Trump gave Merkel $374B NATO bill
- The moment a flying sheet of ice destroys a windshield
- Two Australian men charged over $101 million ice bust
- Queenslanders ask category 4 Cyclone Debbie to bring it on
- Captain Cook's 1770 wine-stained vest goes up for sale
- Narre Warren woman attacked with an AXE at Westfield mall
- 'Everest has better web speed than parts of the UK'
- Coca-Cola diverts 'blame for obesity from sugar'
- Ted Koppel says Sean Hannity is bad for America on CBS
- Darwin rattled by 5.3 magnitude earthquake
- Sydney Trains boss warns terror attack is a real danger
- My prayers for jailed Marine, by former archbishop
- Leaving the EU will strengthen the union says PM
- Surfer, 23, misdiagnosed with asthma has tuberculosis
- London attacker Khalid Masood's friends reveal upbringing
- Detective claims Madeleine's abductor is being shielded
- Aunt raises three girls of her sister killed by a van
- When Joan Crawford met Mamacita: German immigrant maid
- Pete Evans hits back at Australian Medical Association
- One Nation’s Pauline Hanson to go on strike over sugar
- Sydney Greenpeace protest at Commonwealth Bank in CBD
- ISIS celebrate the Westminster terror attack to recruit
- Fears of a terror attack in London keep tourists away
- Sprint car driver, 42, killed in Florida speedway crash
- Nine in ten councils putting up tax bills next month
- Three arrested in alleged sexual assault case of child
- Trump supporter hits anti-fascist protester with MAGA flag
- Westminster killer's two daughters
- Westminster killer was flagged as a potential extremist
- Dog mourns death of his master who was gunned down
- Harry's in a hurry to move Meghan into his new home
- Transport officer drops to ground as man pulls out a gun
- Cameron aide's uber 'cover up'