Emily Lyon, 17, collapsed after taking two lots of the party drug MDMA at a music event attended by Lily Allen and a host of grime stars at the O2 last June, the inquest heard
A teenage girl who died after taking ecstasy at the O2 took a fatal overdose in the queue because she feared sniffer dogs would discover her stash.
Emily Lyon, 17, collapsed after taking two lots of the party drug MDMA at a music event attended by Lily Allen and a host of grime stars at the O2 last June, the inquest heard.
The pretty teenager swallowed the first quarter of a gram of the powder while on the train from her home in Teddington, Middlesex, to Waterloo station, the hearing was told.
She then 'bombed' a second quarter of a gram before going into the Red Bull Culture Clash DJ competition because she was concerned sniffer dogs would detect the narcotics, the inquest heard.
But she complained of feeling unwell, became overheated and had trouble standing, the hearing was told.
Emily was rushed to hospital just before 10pm but doctors could not save her and she died a short time later at around 12.50am on June 17.
A teenager who supplied the ecstasy that killed Emily is the son of a top planning consultant behind the London Olympics canoeing centre.
Emily had gone with friends to the star-studded bash, which featured Mobo award-winning grime MCs Wiley and Stormzy as guests.
The under 18 event which saw four teams of DJs and MCs competing to be crowned champion, was due to finish at 11pm.
The A-level student was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Greenwich where she was resuscitated, but then deteriorated and pronounced dead shortly before 12.50am.
She took half a gram before going into a Red Bull Culture Clash DJ competition at the O2
A 16-year-old boy at the event was also taken to hospital suffering from the effects of taking illegal drugs along with four other teenagers were also treated by paramedics at the O2.
The inquest at Southwark Coroner's Court in south London heard that a post-mortem found the cause of death was from taking half a gram of powdered MDMA.
A report from paramedic London Ambulance Service, Michael O'Connell, read by Assistant Coroner Philip Barlow, stated Emily had taken half a gram of MDMA and suffered a seizure before paramedics arrived.
He said: 'We arrived into the loading bay of the O2 Arena where we were guided to the medical room where a patient who was unconscious had already suffered a seizure.
'We were told the patient had injested half a gram of MDMA.
'Everyone of the patient's friendship group had taken a quarter of a gram of MDMA, there was 0.25 of a gram left which the patient had then taken, taking the patient's dose up to 0.5 of a gram.'
One of Emily's friends had bought two grams of the drug on the day of the event and the group, who had experimented with the drug before, wrapped it up in a cigarette paper 'bomb' to swallow whole.
DC Scott Albert, of the Met Police, told the court that Emily took the extra and fatal dose because she was worried about getting through security with the remaining drugs.
He said: 'From speaking to Emily's friends the group bought the drugs from a peer at Esher College and it was divided up before they got to the venue.
'Drink was taken on the train into London Waterloo and this is where Emily took 0.25 of a gram.
'In the queue on the way into the venue, she was concerned about drugs dogs and she was waiting to get through security, this is where she took the second, fatal dose, and had taken more than what her friends had.
'She complained of being extremely hot, she had to be helped to her feet by two friends as she was having difficulty standing.
'She mentioned to a friend she felt unwell and it was due to the second dose.
'The venue was very crowded and very hot.
'Some of her friends did not realise how unwell she was and there was a lot of shock and disbelief when they found out.'
DC Joel Brown told the court Emily did not think the first quarter of a gram had given her enough of a 'buzz' and she wanted to buy twice as much as her friends to 'ensure she had a good night' after finishing her exams earlier in the summer.
Luke Villars, 18, pictured, was arrested in Kingston the day after Emily's death where he admitted supplying the MDMA to her and three others
DC Albert said police were never told the make-up of the batch of drugs the group had taken.
He added: 'It's unclear if the person who supplied the drugs knew what the weight and purity of the batch was.
'We have asked that question but have never received an answer and will probably never know as we cannot analyse this batch of drugs now.'
Luke Villars, 18, was arrested in Kingston the day after Emily's death where he admitted supplying the MDMA to her and three others.
His father Phil, 53, is managing director of Indigo Planning and was lead consultant on securing planning permission for the 2012 Games canoe slalom venue at the Lee Valley White Water Centre.
His other high profile clients include West Ham United and Royal Bank of Scotland.
Villars was given a 12-month jail sentence suspended for two years at Woolwich Crown Court and was ordered to do 80 hours' unpaid work.
The Assistant Coroner recorded a verdict of drug-related death.