- Court hears Michael Lane became obsessed with Shana Grice and stalked her
- When her new boyfriend left, he got into her home and cut her throat, court told
- He faces murder trial after teenager's body was found in Brighton last summer
A jilted boyfriend who became obsessed with his ex-girlfriend slashed her throat after she finished their relationship, a court has heard.
Michael Lane, 27, had been warned by police to stop stalking Shana Grice, 19, after the couple split.
But he became obsessed and bitter about the split and vowed: 'She'll pay for what she's done.'
Angry she had rekindled a relationship with her former boyfriend, Ashley Cooke, he continued to stalk her.
Michael Lane (left) is on trial over the murder of Shana Grice (right), who is said to have stalked
He repeatedly made silent phone calls to her, attacked her in the street and even fitted a tracker on her car.
Then, early one morning last August, he waited until the teenager was alone in her home and set upon her.
He slashed her throat and then left her lying face down on the bed. He then set fire to the room in a bid to destroy any evidence.
Lane, of Brighton, went on trial at Lewes Crown Court today, charged with murdering Miss Grice.
Philip Bennetts QC, prosecuting, said that during their relationship Lane had become totally obsessed by Miss Grice.
When she ended it Lane 'could not, would not' accept it and began to stalk her.
Police were called to Miss Grice's home in Brighton last August after her shocking killing
Mr Bennetts said: 'During their relationship he stalked her. He put a tracker on her car and followed her movements.
'The obsession with her translated into killing her. He would not allow anyone else to be with her.'
Officers from Sussex Police spoke to Lane about his behaviour and warned him to stay away from her.
Mr Bennetts said: 'On August 25, after Ashley Cooke had left the address, Mr Lane went into the address and slit her throat and, no doubt intending to destroy any evidence of his presence in the house, he set fire to the room.'
The trial continues.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kasich says Trump needs to work with Democrats
- Georgia couple battles for the right to give surname Allah
- Daily Show's Trevor Noah mocks Queensland crocodile teen
- Woman killed two and injured another while high on drugs
- Australia's biggest dog Baron has qualified as a therapist
- Joan Crawford plot to kill Bette Davis' Oscar chances
- Trump didn't 'care' or 'know' about healthcare
- White House denies claim Trump gave Merkel $374B NATO bill
- The moment a flying sheet of ice destroys a windshield
- Two Australian men charged over $101 million ice bust
- Queenslanders ask category 4 Cyclone Debbie to bring it on
- Captain Cook's 1770 wine-stained vest goes up for sale
- Narre Warren woman attacked with an AXE at Westfield mall
- 'Everest has better web speed than parts of the UK'
- Coca-Cola diverts 'blame for obesity from sugar'
- Ted Koppel says Sean Hannity is bad for America on CBS
- Darwin rattled by 5.3 magnitude earthquake
- Sydney Trains boss warns terror attack is a real danger
- My prayers for jailed Marine, by former archbishop
- Leaving the EU will strengthen the union says PM
- Surfer, 23, misdiagnosed with asthma has tuberculosis
- London attacker Khalid Masood's friends reveal upbringing
- Detective claims Madeleine's abductor is being shielded
- Aunt raises three girls of her sister killed by a van
- When Joan Crawford met Mamacita: German immigrant maid
- Pete Evans hits back at Australian Medical Association
- One Nation’s Pauline Hanson to go on strike over sugar
- Sydney Greenpeace protest at Commonwealth Bank in CBD
- ISIS celebrate the Westminster terror attack to recruit
- Fears of a terror attack in London keep tourists away
- Sprint car driver, 42, killed in Florida speedway crash
- Nine in ten councils putting up tax bills next month
- Three arrested in alleged sexual assault case of child
- Trump supporter hits anti-fascist protester with MAGA flag
- Westminster killer's two daughters
- Westminster killer was flagged as a potential extremist
- Dog mourns death of his master who was gunned down
- Harry's in a hurry to move Meghan into his new home
- Transport officer drops to ground as man pulls out a gun
- Cameron aide's uber 'cover up'