- MMA fighter War Machine is accused of beating porn star Christy Mack for hours
- He is on trial for 34 felony charges, including kidnapping and attempted murder
- The alleged attack occurred August of 2014, a Las Vegas court heard on Monday
- War Machine, birth name Jonathan Koppenhaver, found her with another man
- Her new lover Corey Thomas said War Machine bit and put him in a choke hold
- Mack had a broken nose, missing teeth and damage to her eye socket and liver
- She said she was groped sexually and escaped by running naked to a neighbor's
MMA fighter War Machine told his porn star ex-girlfriend he would have to kill her as he stood over her helpless body and beat her for two hours, a Las Vegas court heard.
In Monday's opening statements of the trial for War Machine the court heard how the fighter threatened to murder his former flame Christy Mack, as he mercilessly attacked the adult actress.
The brutal assault began when War Machine, whose birth name is Jonathan Paul Koppenhaver, burst into a bedroom and found Mack in bed with another man in August of 2014.
After allegedly pummeling her new lover, War Machine turned his anger on Mack, leaving her with a broken nose, missing teeth, fractured eye socket, leg injuries and a lacerated liver.
The 35-year-old is on trial for 34 felony charges against him, including kidnapping, attempted murder and multiple counts of sexual assault, all of which he pleaded not guilty.
MMA fighter War Machine, 35, (left) told his porn star ex-girlfriend Christy Mack (right) he would have to kill her as he stood over her helpless body and beat her for two hours, a Las Vegas court heard on Monday
The attack occurred in August of 2014 after War Machine burst through Mack's bedroom door and found her in bed with another man. He said to her: 'This is it. I’ve got to kill you now'. She suffered a broken nose, missing teeth, fractured eye socket, leg injuries and a lacerated liver
Mack was in bed with Corey Thomas when War Machine burst into the room. Thomas told the court the fighter had bitten him and put him in a choke hold. He said he thought he was going to die in the 12 minute battle. Pictured: Thomas' injuries
Prosecutors began casting the former mixed martial arts fighter as violent in his relationship with the porn star and murderous when he found her asleep with another man in her bedroom.
In a rage, he had stood over Mack during the beating and told her 'This is it. I’ve got to kill you now', reported the Las Vegas Review Journal.
The day's main testimony was from Corey Thomas, the man who was in bed with Mack when the alleged assault took place.
He told the court he thought he was going to die in the 12 minute battle with War Machine, where he was bitten and put in a choke hold by the expert fighter.
According to NEWS3LV, Thomas said: 'He bit me there on the cheek and I could feel the bite.
'And once it registered I was getting bitten, then I put my hands back up to try to break him off my face and then he hit me on the arm.
They had met as performers on an adult film shoot. War Machine had his name legally changed from Jonathan Paul Koppenhaver and she had shortened hers from Christine Mackinday
Thomas said he ended up with a broken nose, dislocated shoulder, scrapes and bruises, and bite marks on his face and arm
'I'm looking up at the ceiling thinking to myself "I'm going to die in Christy's bathroom. That's not how I'm going out."'
Thomas said Mack's horrific injuries were the 'the saddest [he] ever saw, reported Adam Herbets for Fox 5 Vegas.
Thomas added: 'When I was in hospital, Christy was in the room right next to me. Her eyes looked like they were peppered shut. Teeth gone.'
War Machine, who said he would go by Koppenhaver in court, had a quiet defense attorney in Jay Leiderman.
Leiderman didn't deny during opening statements that a fight took place on that early August morning.
But he characterized Mack and Koppenhaver as 'two damaged people' - each with an adopted public name, deep image insecurities and a co-dependent relationship that revolved around sex, constant attention and internet personas that exploded into violence.
Mack's lawyers argued this was not the first time War Machine was violent with her. His lawyers said the two were in an explosive relationship that revolved around sex, constant attention and internet personas
'It was a co-dependency that was bound to erupt at some time,' Leiderman told the state court jury during opening statements in a trial expected to last a couple of weeks.
If found guilty, Koppenhaver could get life in prison without parole.
'The two of them were swallowed up by the personas they had created for themselves,' Leiderman said.
They met as performers on an adult film shoot. Koppenhaver legally changed his name to War Machine during his 19-fight MMA career, and he started a clothing line he called Alpha Male.
She had shortened her given name, Christine Mackinday, for her adult film career. She cheered ringside at his martial arts bouts. He became jealous of her professional sexual encounters.
The Associated Press usually doesn't identify alleged victims of sexual assault, but Mack gave the AP permission to use her name. She is expected to testify during the trial.
War Machine had 'Mack' tattooed in large letters across his throat. Lawyers said Mack liked to be choked during sex, sometimes to unconsciousness. They added that Mack had rape fantasies, and invited him to surprise her
Mack said she drifted in and out of consciousness as she was beaten, kicked and groped sexually. She said she escaped and ran naked and bleeding to neighbors' homes
Among their many tattoos, he has her name, 'Mack,' tattooed in large letters across his throat. She had 'Property of War Machine' inked in red on the back of her right shoulder.
Prosecutor Jacqueline Bluth told jurors that Mack liked to be choked during sex, sometimes to unconsciousness. Leiderman said Mack had rape fantasies, and invited Koppenhaver to surprise her.
Thomas, a digital media company owner who is both taller and heavier than Koppenhaver, testified Monday that he dated Mack for two months before Koppenhaver arrived unexpectedly, flipped on the bedroom lights and set upon him on the bed with rapid-fire punches and chokes that nearly left Thomas unconscious.
High school wrestling experience and a couple of years of unarmed defense training helped Thomas escape, he said, along with the presence of mind to ask Koppenhaver whether he was going to kill him or let him leave.
Thomas testified that he ended up with a broken nose, dislocated shoulder, scrapes and bruises, and bite marks on his face and arm. Koppenhaver let him go with a warning that if he went to the police, Koppenhaver would enlist friends who are Navy SEALs and Hells Angels bikers to hurt him, Thomas said.
Mack testified in 2014 that after Thomas left, Koppenhaver attacked her - leaving her with a broken nose, missing teeth, fractured eye socket, leg injuries and a lacerated liver.
Lawyers said War Machine became jealous of Mack's work as a porn star and would hit her
His lawyers said: 'The two of them were swallowed up by the personas they had created for themselves'
She has said she drifted in and out of consciousness as she was beaten, kicked and groped sexually. She said she escaped when she thought Koppenhaver was in the kitchen fetching a knife to finish her off. She ran naked and bleeding to neighbors' homes.
If found guilty, Koppenhaver could get life in prison without parole
Koppenhaver, now 35, was arrested in the Los Angeles suburb of Simi Valley a week after the alleged attack in Las Vegas.
He has been in Nevada state custody since that time, serving 1½ to four years in prison after his probation was revoked for a prior conviction in a 2009 attempted battery causing substantial bodily harm case involving a 21-year-old woman.
Koppenhaver made his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut in 2007, and he had a 14-5 record as a welterweight. His final fight was in 2013.
He was dropped by his fight promoter and his clothing line after Mack's accusations became public.
He told a judge in 2014 that he would use the name Koppenhaver in court.
Latest Nigeria News
- Steve Bannon won't be charged in Florida vote probe
- Israel approves first West Bank settlement since 1999
- What was Cleggy doing whispering on the front bench?
- Education Secretary says Grammars will help deprived
- Major review into car insurance launched after backlash
- DNA database is made up of sex worker samples
- Longer waits for hip operations, warns NHS boss
- Melbourne church destroyed in suspicious fire
- Sherri Papini 'blamed her mom for self-harm in 2003'
- South Sudanese students told to take out braids from hair
- 'Spitting woman' of Manhattan arrested
- Ivanka Trump back in NYC after White House uproar
- The best way to end revenge porn is to stop posing nude
- Michael Flynn seeks immunity for testimony in Russia probe
- Michelle Obama spends day with Native students
- Woman was 'punched and kicked in the back of an Uber'
- Oxford to display more portraits of women after protests
- Oklahoma break-in getaway driver abandoned friends
- Senate's blue wall begins to crumble on Gorsuch vote
- Melbourne pensioner wins right for more welfare benefits
- Teen arrested after 'missing' girl found safe by police
- James Comey's Twitter account is allegedly discovered
- Judge Napolitano returns to Fox after being benched
- Charter of Fundamental Right set to be ditched in Brexit
- Cyclone Debbie flooding NSW and Queensland
- Alabama teen banned from taking grandmother to prom
- Dirty secrets of laundromat: Illicit roubles in London
- Nicola Sturgeon photo similar to Thatcher picture
- Holidaymakers in the Caribbean verbally abuse hotel staff
- Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan
- Columbia man arrested 6 years after mother was murdered
- Trump names and shames right-wing rebel Republicans
- Penn St trustee slams Sandusky's 'so-called' abuse victims
- Woman, 85, survived FIVE DAYS in the Colorado wilderness
- Trump planned to build a 60-story castle in 1984
- Oldest tattooed couple from Florida are 90 per cent inked
- Roger Daltrey says a 'dead dog' would have beaten Clinton
- FBI pictures reveal aftermath of 9/11 attack on Pentagon
- Professor is disgusted by man who gave seat to soldier
- Couple 'regularly' left their baby in the bath