- It is being reported the helicopter hit a television tower as it flew in dense fog
- The helicopter belonged to the Eczacibasi group of companies, it has been said
- There were seven people on board the helicopter when it crashed, killing five
- Four Russians, two pilots and a Turkish official were all travelling on the chopper
A helicopter has crashed on a motorway in the outskirts of Istanbul killing at least five people.
It is understood the chopper was flying in dense fog when it hit a television tower which caused it to plunge into the road.
There were seven people on board - four Russian guests, a Turkish official and two pilots.
The wreckage of the helicopter burns in the street after the crash that killed five people
Emergency services workers inspect the charred remains of the burnt-out helicopter
The helicopter, belonging to the Eczacibasi group of companies, was carrying seven people on board
A member of the forensic teams runs from the charred shell of the helicopter as he talks on a mobile phone
The tail of the helicopter lies broken on a grass verge as the fire service work at the scene
The helicopter is said to have crashed into a television tower as it flew in thick fog
Emergency services frantically scramble to recover anything they can from the scene
Firemen work at the accident site after a helicopter crashed in Beylikduzu district in Istanbul, Turkey
Plumes of thick, black smoke fill the sky after the helicopter ran to ground near Istanbul
Turkish police next topoarts of the wreckage at the accident site after a helicopter crashed in Beylikduzu district in Istanbul, Turkey
Governor Vasip Sahin said the helicopter crashed in Istanbul's Buyukcekmece district after taking off from Itsanbul's Ataturk Airport, adding that the cause of the crash is under investigation.
Eyewitness Fikret Karatekin, a taxi driver, told CNN-Turk television by telephone that the helicopter slammed into the tower before crashing on the highway.
'It hit the tower and crashed by spinning,' he said, adding that the highway had been closed down.
The helicopter broke into piece that were scattered on the highway as well as a green area on the side of the road.
Video footage from the site showed thick black smoke rising from the highway.
The helicopter belonged to the Eczacibasi group of companies.
Latest Nigeria News
- Steve Bannon won't be charged in Florida vote probe
- Israel approves first West Bank settlement since 1999
- What was Cleggy doing whispering on the front bench?
- Education Secretary says Grammars will help deprived
- Major review into car insurance launched after backlash
- DNA database is made up of sex worker samples
- Longer waits for hip operations, warns NHS boss
- Melbourne church destroyed in suspicious fire
- Sherri Papini 'blamed her mom for self-harm in 2003'
- South Sudanese students told to take out braids from hair
- 'Spitting woman' of Manhattan arrested
- Ivanka Trump back in NYC after White House uproar
- The best way to end revenge porn is to stop posing nude
- Michael Flynn seeks immunity for testimony in Russia probe
- Michelle Obama spends day with Native students
- Woman was 'punched and kicked in the back of an Uber'
- Oxford to display more portraits of women after protests
- Oklahoma break-in getaway driver abandoned friends
- Senate's blue wall begins to crumble on Gorsuch vote
- Melbourne pensioner wins right for more welfare benefits
- Teen arrested after 'missing' girl found safe by police
- James Comey's Twitter account is allegedly discovered
- Judge Napolitano returns to Fox after being benched
- Charter of Fundamental Right set to be ditched in Brexit
- Cyclone Debbie flooding NSW and Queensland
- Alabama teen banned from taking grandmother to prom
- Dirty secrets of laundromat: Illicit roubles in London
- Nicola Sturgeon photo similar to Thatcher picture
- Holidaymakers in the Caribbean verbally abuse hotel staff
- Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan
- Columbia man arrested 6 years after mother was murdered
- Trump names and shames right-wing rebel Republicans
- Penn St trustee slams Sandusky's 'so-called' abuse victims
- Woman, 85, survived FIVE DAYS in the Colorado wilderness
- Trump planned to build a 60-story castle in 1984
- Oldest tattooed couple from Florida are 90 per cent inked
- Roger Daltrey says a 'dead dog' would have beaten Clinton
- FBI pictures reveal aftermath of 9/11 attack on Pentagon
- Professor is disgusted by man who gave seat to soldier
- Couple 'regularly' left their baby in the bath