- In January Megyn Kelly announced that she was heading to NBC News
- Kelly's plans for her new show have so far been kept under wraps
- She has said she is tired of hard news and wants to help people in her new role
Megyn Kelly wants to leave hard news behind
Megyn Kelly wants to leave hard news behind and become the 'next Oprah' on her new NBC show.
After leaving Fox News she signed a deal with rival NBC worth somewhere between $12 million and $15 million.
In January she announced she was heading to NBC News for a new 'triple role' at the network, after Fox allegedly turned down her demand for more money than the rumored $20million she was initially offered.
The 46-year-old reportedly asked Fox last minute for a $25million contract to remain at the network, and decided to move after her demands were refused.
However, Kelly's plans for her new show, which is set to air in September, have been kept under wraps.
According to Page Six, Kelly said she wants to use the show 'to help people the way Oprah did', having grown tired of combative hard news reporting.
Kelly said she wants to use the show 'to help people the way Oprah (pictured) did'
NBC execs are currently interviewing for executive producers, with plans for the show, which will be filmed in front of a live studio audience, to hit screens in September in either a 9am or 10am slot.
She will also have a Sunday night show, where she will concentrate on harder stories.
A source told Page Six: 'There was a lot of tough news to report on her show at Fox News. A lot of combative interviewing, going after people.
'Doing that every night was difficult. Megyn feels she has more to offer. She wants to help people the way Oprah did, and do something more positive.
'She'll be focusing on issues and bringing in real people as well as celebrities. Plus, she has a sense of humor and she wants to use that.'
The source added: 'Megyn will have the Sunday night show on NBC to scratch that itch. That's where you'll see the big interviews and stories.'
Kelly has previously floated the idea of doing an Oprah-style show, telling Variety in 2015: 'Barbara Walters has retired, Diane Sawyer left her anchor role. Oprah has moved to the OWN network and is doing a different thing now. So why not me?'
Kelly is still under contract with Fox News until July 1, and her new show is planned to air on NBC in September
Kelly, a former Fox News host, spoke publicly about her alleged sexual harassment at the hands of disgraced former CEO Ailes back in November, ahead of the release of her memoir Settle For More.
She claimed that Ailes tried to kiss her against her will, made inappropriate sexual comments in her presence and even told her about some 'very sexy bras' he would like to watch her wear.
Kelly is still under contract with Fox News until July 1, so cannot be in production meetings at NBC, leaving it up to NBC News president Noah Oppenheim to find her an executive producer.
Oppenheim has been interviewing candidates, while NBC is reportedly trying to persuade Fox News to release her from her contract early.