The real Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) isn't happy with the parody coffee shop calling itself Dumb Starbucks that's popped up in Los Angeles, and wants the faux baristas to drop the act.
"We appreciate the humor but they can't use our name," Starbucks spokesman Jim Olson told CNNMoney. "It's a protected trademark. It's our trademark."
The shop called Dumb Starbucks opened its doors this weekend in L.A. and the baristas gave away free coffee until they ran out, according to news reports. Located in a strip mall next to a laundromat, the shop reportedly mimics the Starbucks menu, but places the word "dumb" in front of every product.
At a late Monday news conference, the restaurateur behind the shop acknowledged it was a publicity stunt for a Comedy Central program.
Starbucks responded, "We're glad the mystery is over."
Related: Starbucks shares rise on upgrade
When asked earlier if Starbucks was considering suing Dumb Starbucks, Olson said, "We're evaluating our options."
He also emphasized that the real Starbucks as "no affiliation whatsoever" with Dumb Starbucks.
Attempts to contact representatives of Dumb Starbucks were unsuccessful.
Related: Starbucks asks customers to leave guns at home
Founded in 1971, the Seattle-based Starbucks has a logo of a green-and-white mermaid wearing a crown with a five-pointed star.
The Dumb Starbucks logo looks exactly the same, but with the addition of the word "dumb." To top of page
Latest Nigeria News
- Steve Bannon won't be charged in Florida vote probe
- Israel approves first West Bank settlement since 1999
- What was Cleggy doing whispering on the front bench?
- Education Secretary says Grammars will help deprived
- Major review into car insurance launched after backlash
- DNA database is made up of sex worker samples
- Longer waits for hip operations, warns NHS boss
- Melbourne church destroyed in suspicious fire
- Sherri Papini 'blamed her mom for self-harm in 2003'
- South Sudanese students told to take out braids from hair
- 'Spitting woman' of Manhattan arrested
- Ivanka Trump back in NYC after White House uproar
- The best way to end revenge porn is to stop posing nude
- Michael Flynn seeks immunity for testimony in Russia probe
- Michelle Obama spends day with Native students
- Woman was 'punched and kicked in the back of an Uber'
- Oxford to display more portraits of women after protests
- Oklahoma break-in getaway driver abandoned friends
- Senate's blue wall begins to crumble on Gorsuch vote
- Melbourne pensioner wins right for more welfare benefits
- Teen arrested after 'missing' girl found safe by police
- James Comey's Twitter account is allegedly discovered
- Judge Napolitano returns to Fox after being benched
- Charter of Fundamental Right set to be ditched in Brexit
- Cyclone Debbie flooding NSW and Queensland
- Alabama teen banned from taking grandmother to prom
- Dirty secrets of laundromat: Illicit roubles in London
- Nicola Sturgeon photo similar to Thatcher picture
- Holidaymakers in the Caribbean verbally abuse hotel staff
- Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan
- Columbia man arrested 6 years after mother was murdered
- Trump names and shames right-wing rebel Republicans
- Penn St trustee slams Sandusky's 'so-called' abuse victims
- Woman, 85, survived FIVE DAYS in the Colorado wilderness
- Trump planned to build a 60-story castle in 1984
- Oldest tattooed couple from Florida are 90 per cent inked
- Roger Daltrey says a 'dead dog' would have beaten Clinton
- FBI pictures reveal aftermath of 9/11 attack on Pentagon
- Professor is disgusted by man who gave seat to soldier
- Couple 'regularly' left their baby in the bath