The real Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) isn't happy with the parody coffee shop calling itself Dumb Starbucks that's popped up in Los Angeles, and wants the faux baristas to drop the act.
"We appreciate the humor but they can't use our name," Starbucks spokesman Jim Olson told CNNMoney. "It's a protected trademark. It's our trademark."
The shop called Dumb Starbucks opened its doors this weekend in L.A. and the baristas gave away free coffee until they ran out, according to news reports. Located in a strip mall next to a laundromat, the shop reportedly mimics the Starbucks menu, but places the word "dumb" in front of every product.
At a late Monday news conference, the restaurateur behind the shop acknowledged it was a publicity stunt for a Comedy Central program.
Starbucks responded, "We're glad the mystery is over."
Related: Starbucks shares rise on upgrade
When asked earlier if Starbucks was considering suing Dumb Starbucks, Olson said, "We're evaluating our options."
He also emphasized that the real Starbucks as "no affiliation whatsoever" with Dumb Starbucks.
Attempts to contact representatives of Dumb Starbucks were unsuccessful.
Related: Starbucks asks customers to leave guns at home
Founded in 1971, the Seattle-based Starbucks has a logo of a green-and-white mermaid wearing a crown with a five-pointed star.
The Dumb Starbucks logo looks exactly the same, but with the addition of the word "dumb." To top of page
Latest Nigeria News
- Rooster chases little girl around yard in Australia
- London terror attack: Doctors RAN from hospital to victims
- Queen Mary ship 'in urgent need of $300M in repairs'
- Tigerair offer $49 flights to Whitsundays
- Ivanka Trump AND Jared Kushner enjoy early morning date
- Florida family dies after car crashes into disabled semi
- Nationwide offers parents chance to get children on ladder
- Scrap the triple lock on pensions, ministers urged
- Caliphate will be 'rubbing hands with glee'
- IRA victims' families denounce Martin McGuinness tributes
- How one open gate let knife maniac in to kill
- World leaders offer UK support after London terror attack
- Jason Day breaks down as he reveals mum is battling cancer
- Tory MP films London terror attack as gunshots are heard
- Theresa May says Britain wont give in to terror attacks
- Video shows Cash Me Ousside girl scrapping with her mother
- Obama administration surveilled Trump transition team
- Intel chiefs in Congress go to war after Trump spy brief
- Queen cancels visit to Scotland Yard after London terror
- ISIS supporters celebrate London terror attack
- Driver fractures woman's skull after failing to look right
- Katie Hopkins on the London terror attack
- Mom's harrowing 911 call about unresponsive babies
- Unlicensed security guard roaming Bourke St with a gun
- Flinders Street Station in lockdown for ‘safety check’
- Footage shows London's Westminster Bridge carnage
- Moment police officer realises colleague stabbed to death
- Costco sues Titleist for right to sell budget golf balls
- Attack succeeds despite years of increased security
- Police scramble to south London Kennington tube station
- Dashcam video shows cop being beaten by two brothers
- Teenage Ivanka Trump found hiding in Aspen hotel with boy
- Man sentenced to death for rape and murder of Nevada girl
- Donald Trump Jr reacts to London terror attack
- No Australians believed to be hurt in London terror attack
- Delivery driver is cleared over death of girl, four
- Humiliation as Channel 4 incorrectly name London attacker
- President Trump frowns to look like Winston Chuirchill
- Westminster attacker drove Hyundai registered in Essex
- Kentucky teen accused of sexually assault on school bus