The real Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) isn't happy with the parody coffee shop calling itself Dumb Starbucks that's popped up in Los Angeles, and wants the faux baristas to drop the act.
"We appreciate the humor but they can't use our name," Starbucks spokesman Jim Olson told CNNMoney. "It's a protected trademark. It's our trademark."
The shop called Dumb Starbucks opened its doors this weekend in L.A. and the baristas gave away free coffee until they ran out, according to news reports. Located in a strip mall next to a laundromat, the shop reportedly mimics the Starbucks menu, but places the word "dumb" in front of every product.
At a late Monday news conference, the restaurateur behind the shop acknowledged it was a publicity stunt for a Comedy Central program.
Starbucks responded, "We're glad the mystery is over."
Related: Starbucks shares rise on upgrade
When asked earlier if Starbucks was considering suing Dumb Starbucks, Olson said, "We're evaluating our options."
He also emphasized that the real Starbucks as "no affiliation whatsoever" with Dumb Starbucks.
Attempts to contact representatives of Dumb Starbucks were unsuccessful.
Related: Starbucks asks customers to leave guns at home
Founded in 1971, the Seattle-based Starbucks has a logo of a green-and-white mermaid wearing a crown with a five-pointed star.
The Dumb Starbucks logo looks exactly the same, but with the addition of the word "dumb." To top of page
Latest Nigeria News
- Dogs bark through gate but quickly back down when it opens
- Agriculture, homebuilders, and golf resisted water rule
- Pigeon flies straight into an oncoming car in Farnborough
- Luton officer who had sex with rape victim is thrown out
- THREE suns appear in the sky due to an optical illusion
- Web designer stole £100,000 from TV star boss's firm
- Neighbours bemused after sightings of a NAKED female clown
- Shopper got criminal record after picking up £20 note
- Male nurse 'secretly made videos of naked female patients'
- Viewers laugh at woman's video as she peels off face mask
- Wild elephants caught mating in infrared footage
- Mother says fellow parent sent racist texts to daughter
- DNA test shows Subway items may contain 50% chicken
- Hatton Garden raiders plotted raid 5 years earlier
- George W. Bush lashes out at 'racism' in the Trump era
- 17-year-old Rover 45 sells for less than price of a pint
- Pupils punished for sharing nude photo of school director
- Mom who adopted Filipino baby born without arms or legs
- Siblings fell to death as parent dropped them by accident
- Teen brothers 'smash up Girl Scout stand over $20 debt'
- Trevor Noah buys Manhattan penthouse for a cool $10million
- Adam Johnson girlfriend Stacey Flounders arrives at court
- Italian DJ takes his own life at Swiss suicide clinic
- MIT student wins College Jeopardy! with hilarious response
- Trump builds Marine One helipad at Mar-a-Lago club
- Thara John Memory 'sexually abused 2 women, 2 girls'
- Etna volcano erupts in eastern Sicily
- Jared and Kay Jewelers employees 'sexually harassed'
- Green pays £363MILLION to settle up the BHS pension scheme
- Council worker 'called his Muslim colleague a "raghead"'
- Trump denies 'major leak' problem in the White House
- BFI release home movie of super-rich family in Arbroath
- Footballer is cleared of bullying besotted girl into sex
- The SAS mission to destroy Argentinian Exocet missiles
- Fly-tippers dump a CARAVAN on a rural roadside
- Jon Stewart tells the media to end obsession with Trump
- UFO believers go nuts over Tasmania 'fireball' video
- Father, 34, dies after he was stabbed in the heart
- 'Cannibal' frat boy cries in unaired Dr. Phil interview
- Kate McCann branded 'a dreadful mother' by Karen Matthews