Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg updated his status to "married" on Saturday.
Zuckerberg and 27-year-old Priscilla Chan tied the knot at a small ceremony at his Palo Alto, Calif., home, capping a busy week for the couple, according to a guest authorized to speak for the couple. The person spoke only on the condition of anonymity.
Zuckerberg took his company public in one of the most anticipated stock offerings in Wall Street history Friday. And Chan graduated from medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, on Monday, the same day Zuckerberg turned 28, the person said.
The couple met at Harvard and have been together for more than nine years, the person said.
Zuckerberg designed the ring featuring "a very simple ruby," according to the person.
The ceremony took place in Zuckerberg's backyard before fewer than 100 guests, including Facebook's chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg.
The guests all thought they were coming to celebrate Chan's graduation but were told after they arrived that the event was in fact a wedding.
"Everybody was shocked," the guest said.
Rather than his trademark hoodie, Zuckerberg wore a suit for the ceremony, while his bride wore a traditional wedding dress.
Food was served family-style and included dishes from the couple's favorite Palo Alto sushi restaurant. The two had been planning the marriage for months but were waiting until Chan had graduated to hold the wedding, the guest said.
The timing wasn't tied to the IPO, since the date the company planned to go public was a "moving target," the guest said.
Even after the IPO, Zuckerberg remains Facebook's single largest shareholder, with 503.6 million shares. And he controls the company with 56 percent of its voting stock.
The site, which was born in a dorm room eight years ago, has grown into a worldwide network of almost a billion people.
Zuckerberg founded Facebook at Harvard in 2004.
He was selected as Time's Person of the Year in 2010, at age 26.
Zuckerberg grew up in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.
Latest Nigeria News
- Rooster chases little girl around yard in Australia
- London terror attack: Doctors RAN from hospital to victims
- Queen Mary ship 'in urgent need of $300M in repairs'
- Tigerair offer $49 flights to Whitsundays
- Ivanka Trump AND Jared Kushner enjoy early morning date
- Florida family dies after car crashes into disabled semi
- Nationwide offers parents chance to get children on ladder
- Scrap the triple lock on pensions, ministers urged
- Caliphate will be 'rubbing hands with glee'
- IRA victims' families denounce Martin McGuinness tributes
- How one open gate let knife maniac in to kill
- World leaders offer UK support after London terror attack
- Jason Day breaks down as he reveals mum is battling cancer
- Tory MP films London terror attack as gunshots are heard
- Theresa May says Britain wont give in to terror attacks
- Video shows Cash Me Ousside girl scrapping with her mother
- Obama administration surveilled Trump transition team
- Intel chiefs in Congress go to war after Trump spy brief
- Queen cancels visit to Scotland Yard after London terror
- ISIS supporters celebrate London terror attack
- Driver fractures woman's skull after failing to look right
- Katie Hopkins on the London terror attack
- Mom's harrowing 911 call about unresponsive babies
- Unlicensed security guard roaming Bourke St with a gun
- Flinders Street Station in lockdown for ‘safety check’
- Footage shows London's Westminster Bridge carnage
- Moment police officer realises colleague stabbed to death
- Costco sues Titleist for right to sell budget golf balls
- Attack succeeds despite years of increased security
- Police scramble to south London Kennington tube station
- Dashcam video shows cop being beaten by two brothers
- Teenage Ivanka Trump found hiding in Aspen hotel with boy
- Man sentenced to death for rape and murder of Nevada girl
- Donald Trump Jr reacts to London terror attack
- No Australians believed to be hurt in London terror attack
- Delivery driver is cleared over death of girl, four
- Humiliation as Channel 4 incorrectly name London attacker
- President Trump frowns to look like Winston Chuirchill
- Westminster attacker drove Hyundai registered in Essex
- Kentucky teen accused of sexually assault on school bus