Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg updated his status to "married" on Saturday.
Zuckerberg and 27-year-old Priscilla Chan tied the knot at a small ceremony at his Palo Alto, Calif., home, capping a busy week for the couple, according to a guest authorized to speak for the couple. The person spoke only on the condition of anonymity.
Zuckerberg took his company public in one of the most anticipated stock offerings in Wall Street history Friday. And Chan graduated from medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, on Monday, the same day Zuckerberg turned 28, the person said.
The couple met at Harvard and have been together for more than nine years, the person said.
Zuckerberg designed the ring featuring "a very simple ruby," according to the person.
The ceremony took place in Zuckerberg's backyard before fewer than 100 guests, including Facebook's chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg.
The guests all thought they were coming to celebrate Chan's graduation but were told after they arrived that the event was in fact a wedding.
"Everybody was shocked," the guest said.
Rather than his trademark hoodie, Zuckerberg wore a suit for the ceremony, while his bride wore a traditional wedding dress.
Food was served family-style and included dishes from the couple's favorite Palo Alto sushi restaurant. The two had been planning the marriage for months but were waiting until Chan had graduated to hold the wedding, the guest said.
The timing wasn't tied to the IPO, since the date the company planned to go public was a "moving target," the guest said.
Even after the IPO, Zuckerberg remains Facebook's single largest shareholder, with 503.6 million shares. And he controls the company with 56 percent of its voting stock.
The site, which was born in a dorm room eight years ago, has grown into a worldwide network of almost a billion people.
Zuckerberg founded Facebook at Harvard in 2004.
He was selected as Time's Person of the Year in 2010, at age 26.
Zuckerberg grew up in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.
Latest Nigeria News
- Man survives having nail HAMMERED into brain in China
- Restaurant owner 'attacked woman with a stiletto in Essex'
- Trump says he has a military operation on the border
- Birmingham mother who killed daughter detained indefintely
- Richard Spencer KICKED OUT of CPAC
- Shia LaBeouf’s anti-Trump livestream taken down
- All-American boy lands role in $100m Chinese blockbuster
- August deadline for Trump's major tax reform is revealed
- FlyBe plane crash lands on the runway at Amsterdam airport
- Thousands of commuters stranded by Storm Doris
- Police find £1m cannabis factory in Wiltshire
- Americans are 'being driven insane by social media'
- Scots man who registered 26 non-existent births faces jail
- MP weeps in Commons as he tells of cousin's killing by IRA
- Trump campaign chairman 'blackmail' texts about Russia
- Alabama man 'killed son because he abused granddaughter'
- Suspected killer of Stephen Laurence member of drugs gang
- Moment moggy slides straight off a desk
- Orange reptiles may have changed color due to rusty pipes
- Netflix is accused of 'glorifying suicide'
- Mother used Facebook to lure men to her flat and rob them
- Shaun Walmsley escaping from prison guards on CCTV
- Four arrested in starvation death of 9-year-old boy
- David Einhorn 'separates from wife'
- 'Cannibal' frat boy's Dr. Phil interview to be released
- Germany arrests man suspected of planning Islamist attack
- Dramatic moment horse is rescued from a smelly septic tank
- Californian girl in coma as tree falls on her in storm
- Novak Djokovic is caught bickering with his wife Jelena
- Chinese companies rush to name products after Ivanka Trump
- Redundant son is rescued by his MOTHER who bought the firm
- Steve Mnuchin shows autograph for first time
- Protest planned over 'sexist' billboard
- Stonemason finds 19th century time capsule in slab of rock
- Amazon applies for liquor license for Seattle drive-thru
- Asylum seekers charged with gang rape will NOT be deported
- California couple charged with strangling toddler to death
- Fascinating WW1 snaps show failed POW escape bids
- Accrington woman who sent ex fake baby scan faces jail
- Man disposed of body lice in UC Berkeley buildings