ISIS Nice attack killer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhiel sent £84k to his family in Tunisia
- Family of ISIS killer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel insist he’s ‘not a terrorist’
- Brother Jaber told MailOnline he sent them an £84,000 days before attack
- Bouhlel regularly sent money to his family, but the ‘fortune’ was a surprise
- His father insisted Bouhlel was ‘mentally
Mohamed Krit In Msaken, Tunisia
Nick Fagge In Nice For Mailonline
06:59 EST, 16 July 2016
07:44 EST, 16 July 2016
ISIS killer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel sent his family £84,000 just days before his Bastille Day atrocity, his brother told MailOnline.
The Islamic fanatic persuaded friends to smuggle the bundles of cash back to his family in their hometown of Msaken, Tunisia.
Although Bouhlel had been sending small sums of money to his family, his brother admitted that they were stunned by the size of the ‘fortune’.
Fortune: ISIS killer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel sent £84,000 to his family in Tunisia in the days leading up to his nightmarish attack in Nice
Family: Jaber Bouhlel, the brother of ISIS fanatic Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, revealed that his brother had sent them an £84,000 fortune just days before launching his devastating attack
Stunned: Killer Bouhlel’s father Mohamed Mondher insisted his son was mentally ill and not a radicalised soldier as ISIS today claimed responsibility for the attack
‘Mohamed sent the family 240,000 Tunisian Dinars (£84,000) in the last few days,’ Jaber Bouhlel told MailOnline.
‘He used to send us small sums of money regularly like most Tunisians working abroad. But then he sent us all that money, it was fortune.
‘He sent the money illegally. He gave cash to people he knew who were returning to our village and asked them to give it to the family.’
He added: ‘My brother is not a terrorist.’
His father also insisted that Bouhlel was mentally ill and not a radicalised soldier as claimed today by ISIS.
Mohamed Mondher Lahouaiej Bouhlel, whose son killed at least 84 people on Bastille Day, told how he suffered from severe depression in an interview with French TV BMF.
‘From 2002 to 2004 he had problems that led to a nervous breakdown.
‘He’d get angry and shout and broke everything in front of him. He was violent and very ill. We took him to the doctor and he was put on drugs.
Worry: Bouhlel’s father Mohamed Mondher told how he suffered from severe depression in an interview with French TV BMF, and insisted he was not an ISIS terrorist
Impoverished: Bouhlel’s family live in a poor neighbourhood in Msaken, some 90 miles south of the capital city of Tunis. Pictured is the family home, where 31-year-old Bouhlel grew up
Scene: Crowds gather near the family home of truck terrorist Bouhlel, whose family told MailOnline today that he was mentally ill and violent but was ‘not a terrorist’
Upset: Bouhlel’s father told MailOnline that the whole family are ‘in a state of shock’ after hearing details of his attack. An aunt called to tell them Bouhlel had been killed by French police. Pictured, neighbours in Msaken
Killer: Truck terrorist Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel who murdered 84 on Bastille Day in Nice, was described by his father as ‘violent and very ill’ but he insisted he was not an ISIS fighter
Attackers: Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, who killed 84 people in Nice on Thursday, grew up in Msaken – a Tunisian city just 12 miles from Sousse, where ISIS gunman Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 tourists in June 2015
‘Whenever there was a crisis we took him back again.
‘He was always alone. Always silent, refusing to talk. Even in the street he wouldn’t greet people.’
Mr Mondher said he had no contact with his son after he moved to France from their home in Msaken, eastern Tunisia.
‘He didn’t come back even when his brothers and sisters called,’ he said.
He appeared bewildered as he insisted his son had ‘no connection with religion. He didn’t fast and keep Ramadan. He drank. He even took drugs.
‘We’re all in a state of shock at what’s happened’
He confirmed that his son and his estranged wife, a French-Tunisian from Nice, were ‘not on good terms’.
His brother Jaber also said he had not seen his brother for several years and the money had come as a complete surprise.
The family live in an impoverished neighbourhood in Msaken, some 90 miles south of the capital Tunis.
Msaken is also just 12 miles from the once-popular coastal resort of Sousse, where Tunisian ISIS gunman Seifeddine Rezgui massacred 38 holidaymakers in June 2015.
Defence: Killer Bouhlel’s family insisted that he is ‘not a terrorist’, despite ISIS today claiming responsibility for the attack and branding Bouhlel a ‘soldier’. Pictured, Bouhlel’s brother Jaber
Violent: The father of killer Bouhlel described him as being aggressive and breaking everything in front of him when he became angry. Pictured, Jaber Bouhlel, the brother of the attacker in Nice
Home: Mohamed Bouhlel moved to France from his hometown of Msaken, eastern Tunisia. Although his family rarely saw him he continued sending money back to support them
‘The last time he visited the family was in 2012. He came home to attend the wedding of our sister,’ continued Jaber.
‘But really we had heard very little from him.
‘My aunt called my father to tell her that his son had been killed by French police after his terror attack.’
Jaber Bouhlel refuses to accept that his brother is a terrorist – despite his single-handed murder of 84 and the injury of over 200, many seriously, with some 18 people on life-support.
He said he hasn’t questioned how his brother accumulated the cash fortune that he sent to his family.
‘Mohamed sent us all of his savings, all of his worth in France. He had worked for eight years and this was the money he saved in France,’ he said.
Childhood: Bouhlel grew up with family in Msaken, an impoverished Tunisian village, but moved to Nice to work and send money back home to support his family
History: Bouhlel was already known to police for a string of petty crimes including theft and domestic violence, but was not considered to be a terrorist threat
Target: Msaken is just 12 miles from the once-popular coastal resort of Sousse, where Tunisian ISIS gunman Seifeddine Rezgui (pictured) massacred 38 holidaymakers in June 2015
He told how Mohamed became depressed following his separation from his wife and three children, now aged five, three and 18-months.
Bouhlel was already known to police for a history of petty crime, including theft and domestic violence, but he was not under surveillance as a terrorist threat.
His court-appointed lawyer, Corentin Delobel, said he observed ‘no radicalisation’ whatsoever.
Bouhlel had never been place on a radical watch list, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said
But Paris-based prosecutor Francois Molins said he could have been inspired by calls from extremist groups to carry out terrorist acts in France.
You may be interested
San Francisco investigating whether Uber, Lyft are public nuisancesJoshua - June 5, 2017
By Heather Somerville | SAN FRANCISCO SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco has issued subpoenas to Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] and Lyft…
Oxford to display more portraits of women after protestswebby - March 31, 2017
Oxford University said its new artwork would help ‘promote greater diversity’Institution will add 20 portraits of women and people from…
Woman was 'punched and kicked in the back of an Uber'webby - March 31, 2017
Altercation took place between a man and woman in the early hours of Friday NSW Police said the 35-year-old woman was…